Loop d loop

Joe plaid

Hi. I have just joined this forum and am hoping to get an answer to a problem many seem to have and I have yet to see a solution posted. I recently upgraded from a very stable 2011 iMac and logic 10.11 to the much heralded 10.5 on a 2015 iMac. I expected issues but not being able to audition loops while the track is playing seems too basic to be an issue but it seems it is. I had an apple guy take control of my computer and he tried everything and nada. He has sent a snapshot of the system to the engineers to fix it and a week later called to say they are still working on it.

Has anyone out there figured this out? I've tried using the mac audio built in instead of and external just in case it's a sound issue but the loops are loud and clear in the browser and when dragged to a track so it's a sync issue of some kind. It's a pretty big bug for such a sophisticated daw.

Appreciate any insights.

Hi. I have just joined this forum

Hi Joe, and welcome here!! :D

I expected issues but not being able to audition loops while the track is playing seems too basic to be an issue but it seems it is. (...) Has anyone out there figured this out?

Can you give us more detail?

For example:

1. Start a new empty project.

2. Drag an Apple Loop to the bottom of the workspace.

3. Loop the region throughout the project (press L).

4. Start playback. => You should see the playhead play the project, and hear the loop?

5. In the Loop browser, click another loop. => Can you hear that play along with your project?

Hi David. Thanks . Happy to be part of the forum. It's great.

I tried everything you said. My old computer and old logic did this flawlessly. I can bring loops In to my current projects or into a blank new one and they play fine. But if the track is playing and I click on a loop in the browser it will not play. And if its playing and then I start play in the track it stops.

As I mentioned an apple guy tried to sort it out and could not.

I have been using loops since 2007 and I know my way around them pretty well but this new computer and 10.5 is not performing in the same way.

Maddening

And if its playing and then I start play in the track it stops.

That's normal behavior.

Back to the steps I gave you earlier, when you click the loop in the Loop browser, what happens. Does the project continue playing back? Does the loop you click have its icon changed to a speaker? Do you see the loop's waveform appear at the bottom of the Loop browser? Does the loop become highlighted (selected) in the loop browser list of loops?

When I click a loop while the project is playing the loop lights up at the bottom , the waveform appears and the speaker icon is green but there is no sound.

If I play the loop in the browser it shows as above and I can hear it but it shuts off immediately upon starting the project. As I said it will play fine if dragged into the tracks area but not in audition mode while in the loops browser

It's getting difficult to troubleshoot the issue if you're mixing up multiple behaviors (two that don't work, only one of which is supposed to work, plus another one that works).

Let's focus on one specific behavior, the one that is the subject of your original question: project is playing back, and you're trying to preview a loop.

So let's try this:

1. Choose File > New.

2. Create a new, empty project, with one audio track.

3. Press Play

4. Open the Loops Browser.

5. Click a loop.

What happens then?

Well just the threat of you being on the case has worked David! I tried a new project again just for the heck of it and there it was playing happily along with the track. And then I went back to the project I'm on and its working. Now I thought it was working at first and then stopped but that was just after I had switched to 10.5 so I was hazy about that memory. As I mentioned An apple tech took control of my computer and we tried everything including setting up a new user account and downloading logic again but nothing worked and now it has magically started. Makes me worry it's a glitch but many thanks for taking the time to help me . Fingers crossed I don't come knocking again.

Btw everything looks the same, icon lit up and waveform showing but now I can hear the loop playing so whatever was wrong is not obvious unfortunately.

All the best.

Joe