MOTU 828ES Routing Question

Tim6ranite
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hi all,

I just bought an 828ES for routing options so that I can plug my SSL 6 into it as well as other analog gear I am getting. However, I am very confused by the routing of everything. I can hear myself on the MOTU but Logic isn't picking it up. When I used my Audient ID14 it was practically plug and play. This is a little more challenging. Do I have to use buses for inputs and outputs to be able to record and listen?

Logic Pro 10.5.1

Motu 828ES

Any advice on how I can set this up for basic recording to start? I have looked online for 828ES with Logic Pro X setups and couldn't find anything.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, David Nahmani said:

It should be plug and play. In Logic open your Mixer and choose Options > I/O Labels. Are there labels in the provided by driver column? If yes then select all (Command-A) and click one of them to select them all.

Sorry for the late reply. Can anyone point me in the direction? 

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 6.21.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 6.20.13 PM.png

You're trying to record to an instrument track.This receives MIDI only. Create an audio track to record audio.

Also, all your tracks are soloed, but the recording track is not, which would not let you hear what you record. Is there a reason for this, um, unusual application of Solo ?

Also, there is an IO plugin on the recording track. Why ?

Also, in the 828 routing page, you need to route "from Computer 1-2" to "Main A", unless you actually want to use the 828 mixer in addition to Logic's mixer, which I suggest you avoid until you have a good reason to use it.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

That did it! Well halfway. Please forgive me if the edibles were hitting hard. I got it to where I can hear the beat through the Motu!! Thanks. 

I still can't record. I am going into the Motu, Mic line 1. 

I also showed the Logic setup and the Motu grid again. I also pressed monitor b light on the front of the Motu if that helps.

I know I just have to configure this one last step and it's there. I've played with it for an hour but no joy. 

Thanks for all your help.

1567805834_ScreenShot2022-12-20at11_15_31PM.thumb.png.7925289dd0a74d580f0a0d8d37e5fb8a.png546038426_ScreenShot2022-12-20at11_16_16PM.thumb.png.3c03ea4b7539d1cd2941a985f6b2b4c7.png

Edited by Tim6ranite
Falsely entered.

• Solution

In MOTU's routing page, you're routing Mic1 and 2 to AVB stream 1 channel 1 and 2, but you're not actually using any of the four AVB streams you enabled, as you'd use these to route groups of signals between several AVB interfaces. Instead, you need to route Mic 1 to 'to Computer (TB) 1', as this is where you want your signal to go.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@fuzzfilth You sir have been most helpful. So many times I have helped others and received no thanks, I didn't want to be one of those guys. We are up and running. I and my team are extremely grateful.

Once our studio reopens in a new location I plan to run analog stems out of my MOTU into my SSL Six, my two Pulltec Clones and my LA2A clone and finally the LTL Silver Bullet MKII. 

My only real challenge has been how Logic and MOTU communicate as they are clearly not labelled the same. I am both excited and terrified to try and you have given me hope sir. 

Kudos once again!

Tim

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tim6ranite said:

So many times I have helped others and received no thanks, I didn't want to be one of those guys.

Yes, it's always appreciated when after you've helped someone, they come back and not only are thankful but also share if the solution worked, and sometimes offer little details as to how it worked exactly. I'm always thinking of all the people who are going to read the thread later, who may have the same issue, and how important it is for them to see that the solution worked and how it worked exactly. 🙂