Route click so that it's never included when bouncing?

MikeShapiro

For everyone else: I also welcome non-troll answers on the same subject.

did a troll post something, and then david deleted it? i don't see any troll posts.

turn off the metronome before you bounce. that's what everyone does, and it's a simple thing (and easy enough to check your bounce, to make sure there's no metronome).

in all the years i've used logic (hundreds!), i've left the metronome on once. when i played back the mix, i heard it, and did another bounce without... and all was well.

Thanks! I was hoping to do this in software...

That would be if your interface has a mixer software that allows rerouting output 3-4 to same physical outputs as 1-2, I guess e.g. RMEs "TotalMix" could do this ?

Thanks! I'll investigate. I have a Steinberg interface and seem to remember that it has its own control-panel software.

No, Logic alone cannot do this: because you have only one pair of outputs, it can route audio that you want to be heard only to that one pair of outputs — therefore the audio will be recorded in the bounced file.

Smart thinking by Jakob there however. Mike if you manage to make this work with your Steinberg software I would be curious to hear how you set that up.

However I'm curious as to your workflow: why do you have the Metronome on during playback? Mine is on only during recording, not playback, which makes it automatically heard only when needed, and never included in a bounce:

1897192288_MetronomeSettings.png.7a993597ad2725f733dd4219a6907818.png

You can go into environment before bouncing and change the output of the klogfest track to nothing. You could do it on the mixer but since we’re trying to complicate this as much as possible, use the environment. This is much more complicated than using the key command (k) to turn off the metronome as per Fisherking’s trollishly simple suggestion.

You can go into environment before bouncing and change the output of the klogfest track to nothing. You could do it on the mixer but since we’re trying to complicate this as much as possible, use the environment. This is much more complicated than using the key command (k) to turn off the metronome as per Fisherking’s trollishly simple suggestion.

thanks for the mention (and for introducing me to the word 'trollishly') 8-)

I think the comments have been respectful and helpful. The real answer is that you should be aware enough of what you are doing to know whether the click is on, or not. David's answer to select click in record only should do it. The other is to actually listen to what you're doing. That, like the click, is probably hard for you to hear.

Steve

Steve

Also a quick sound check before bouncing is a good idea. I hit play and skip around the song to a few random places (usually use markers for this). Hit play and then hit various markers. This revels anything i may have forgotten. Like that I muted a rhythm guitar part to hear a solo better, and that kind of thing). Saves headache in the long run.

here's my 2 cents: the default Logic's metronome sound just sucks, in my opinion. too soft and dull so a few year ago I came up with a metronome sound that is pretty similar to Ableton's.

here are my settings for those interested in a more aggressive and hard to miss metronome sound. if you bounce your track with the metronome on, I guarantee that you will hear it

1 - set the mixer to ALL and find the channel where the default metronome is. load the EFM1 instrument.

729028868_ScreenShot2021-03-27at2_30_52PM.thumb.png.312c01fce191a8b07a03c0efcd21901e.png

2 - copy these settings

592060335_ScreenShot2021-03-27at2_29_50PM.png.b915a132553bdb2cc5f37d446cb12d3f.png

if you're lazy, just download this preset:

danny-wyatt-metronome.pst

3 - go to project settings and make these changes

1648226075_ScreenShot2021-03-27at2_30_34PM.png.551d460ef8d4a49578db17401d77fba4.png

4 - save this as a template

this doesn't solve the issue of the OP, but I remember bouncing tracks where the metronome was there, but barely audible so this avoids that issue. other than that, as other said, just have the metronome visible at the top and disable it, but having an audible metronome is almost like seeing the icon at the top: you won't miss it