Multiple MIDI instruments

marks
Go to solution Solved by marks,

Have all,

I have a problem of late where for some reason, I can't seem to get multiple MIDI sources online on my Mac at the same time. I have a Komplete Kontrol S61, a Nektar P4, a set of AKAI drum pads and a MOXF8.

It used to be that I could use multiple instruments at the same time. If I was using a VST, it didn't matter which MIDI instrument I used, it triggered just fine. Of late that has stopped. One seems to preclude the others. And so, I have to disconnect my other instruments in order for one to work. If I want to change instruments, I close logic, connect the other keyboard and reopen. This is certainly not normal but I have no idea why the problem arised.

I am quite sure this is a problem with MIDI setup on the Mac rather than a logic specific problem but I can't for the life of me understand what could cause this change in behaviour other than a possible upgrade in the OS. If that did indeed happen, it was a while before I noticed it so I have no way of knowing for sure what caused the problem.

Any ideas or brainstorming suggestions would be much appreciated! I'll post back if I find a solution but I've tried again and again without success.

Can you give us more details regarding how you've set up tracks for each instruments? I would start with something simple, for example only two instruments at a time, and troubleshoot that first.

Here's a tutorial on setting up multiple MIDI instruments simultaneously (on different MIDI Channels) in Logic Pro: https://www.logicprohelp.com/instruments-tracks-midi-channels/

Hi David, thank you for chiming in here.

I think I was less clear than I should have been. The problem is not within Logic I don't think. The problem is outside of Logic too. My Midi Monitor shows no action. basically, when I have more than one MIDI instrument, for example, a Yamaha MOXF8 and an Native Instruments S61, either one or neither will work. This is new. I never had such problems in the past. It mean that I could for example work with my desktop S61 but move to the MOXF when playing a more delicate piano piece. Both would send events. I had one on a powered USB hub and other direct. Then found neither was working through the hub. This may be the problem but I have tried multiple hubs to no effect. Is there something in my MIDI setup that might prevent more than one working at the same time? They are all sending on Channel 1. Shouldn't be an issue. Note, all the sounds are on board the computer. I'm not trying to do any fancy external instruments. I've attached my midi channel settings but suspect there are no issues there.

935064344_ScreenShot2021-03-28at4_23_24PM.jpg.923cec7db662c6372abf568d781a33e3.jpg

Oh ok I get it now. Well then no, there's nothing in Audio MIDI Setup that can make only one MIDI source available at a time. All sources sending on Channel 1 isn't an issue either as you've said. You should be able to connect as many USB-MIDI controllers all sending on Channel 1 to your Mac and have all of them functional simultaneously at all times, automatically, with no setup whatsoever, not in Audio MIDI Setup, not in Logic, so there's not much to double-check there (assuming you're using a new empty project to troubleshoot and not a custom template that may have custom Environment cabling).

Have you tried connecting two controllers directly to your Mac's USB ports, with the hub disconnected?

Hi David. I can’t do that because I only have two USB ports and my Logic library is on an external disk. As such I need to have at least one port attached to a hub. I know hubs can be finicky and unfortunately, all mine appear to be! Thanks for confirming that it requires no setup.

Then I can only guess that that's most likely the source of your issues indeed. Perhaps a lack of power to be able to power multiple controllers at once? You could try connecting your controllers directly to a power source to relieve the USB hub. I would still try to start Logic without your library so that you can test two controllers at once without the hub connected which should either confirm or infirm my guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, the S61 is directly connected and the nano is connected to the hub. In fact, which device is connected appears not to be contributing factor. I can connect the MOXF to the hub or directly and same with the S61, or even my Nektar P4 or AKAI MPD218 and the problems persist. There seems to be a fundamental issue with the actual MIDI handler itself because it is a) not instrument dependent and b) it has only happened in recent months (though I can't pinpoint when - perhaps with an OS upgrade?) This all used to work seamlessly. I would just connect my MIDI devices, as many as I wanted, to hub or directly and everything was peachy.

Hi there and thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I have always used a powered hub. I never expected to be able to drive all those devices, plus several drives (including my instrumental sample library drive without one.

The Korg is just the newest addition to my MIDI family. The problems existed when I was trying to do something as simple as have the MOXF and the Nektar P4 co-exist. It's really quite perplexing!

Yessir. I did. I expect it happened after an update. Presumably an OS update because the problem happens OUTSIDE of logic itself. (I've used the MIDI MONITOR program to see if other keyboards are producing MIDI CC and note messages but it all falls apart with multiple devices attached.

I am glad you suggested that. I did it a while back. Removed everything. Still no joy. It's really bizarre. Wondering if it's a Mojave 10.14.6 problem. I would have expected to hear more about it if it was but it doesn't seem to be a common issue as googling has gotten me nowhere!

I am glad you suggested that. I did it a while back. Removed everything. Still no joy. It's really bizarre. Wondering if it's a Mojave 10.14.6 problem. I would have expected to hear more about it if it was but it doesn't seem to be a common issue as googling has gotten me nowhere!

I know this probably doesn't help, but FYI: I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 same as you. I have multiple devices connected via powered hub and all are sending fine. So I don't think it's a 10.14.6 issue:

See attachment.38466978_ScreenShot2021-04-12at9_26_35AM.thumb.png.97bfab3e68645a1b35c6e4516d459869.png

• Solution
Hi, so thought I’d update this for the benefit of others. The problem appears to have been hardware related. I replaced my old USB hubs (“LyfeLove” and “Pluggable” brands) with an Anker and things seem to be working as expected. I haven’t yet dived deeply but everything appears to be recognized and interoperable. Edited by marks