Storing the Apple Loops/Impulse response folder on an external drive

Jonathan Levine

Is there any way to store the Apple Loops/Impulse response folder on an external drive? I have everything else from Logic on one but I don't know why those two folders get excluded whenever you store everything else on an external drive. I tried the alias folder trick with both of those, but it didn't work for some reason.

I'm not sure why you want to do that but I recommend against it. Apple determines that these files should be installed on your system drive, so that's where you should leave them installed. Moreover, if the reason is that you need to reclaim the space on your system drive, then you have a bigger problems than relocating your Apple Loops and Impulse Responses as your system drive should always have ample free space (at least 20 or 25% of its capacity) to allow MacOS and all your apps to run smoothly and efficiently.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure why you want to do that but I recommend against it. Apple determines that these files should be installed on your system drive, so that's where you should leave them installed. Moreover, if the reason is that you need to reclaim the space on your system drive, then you have a bigger problems than relocating your Apple Loops and Impulse Responses as your system drive should always have ample free space (at least 20 or 25% of its capacity) to allow MacOS and all your apps to run smoothly and efficiently.

Maintaining enough free space on a 250GB hard drive is a balancing act indeed.