Flex Pitch Adjustment Question

stldrum

I have recorded audio that needs to be adjusted from a little sharp and a little flat. I know how to accomplish it with Flex Pitch in the editor with the Hot Spots.

The musicians tuned to 442Hz - they are orchestral, but I have a feeling that Logic is analyzing pitch at 440hz. I do not see a place to change that Flex Pitch analysis, only where to change the tuning of Software Instruments in the Project Settings/Tunings. Is this a correct assumption? If so then for example a note that has a Flex Pitch number of 11 is actually a Flex Pitch number of 3 because of the 8 cents difference (roughly +7.85 cents). Am I thinking correctly? I just don't want to adjust some players to 440Hz and leave others at 442hz.

Thx!

Yes I believe that the Flex Pitch reference is stuck to A = 440 Hz. I honestly work only at that tuning. I've never done any tuning at all with classical music. And in general I do most of my tuning by ear anyway, as what Flex Pitch determines to be the perfect pitch is just some kind of average of the pitch curve but that rarely matches what you're hearing exactly.

A crazy idea.... what if you changed the sampling rate by the same percentage. I'm no Einstein but something like either 440/442 or 442/440 (I think it's 440/442 because you want a smaller number. Once you find that percent then multiply 48000 by that (Should be lower than 48k). Then change your sample rate, taking all the audio and slowing it down so that A is 440. Then, once you do your editing, put the sample rate BACK at 48 k and viola! An in tune viola!

A crazy idea.... what if you changed the sampling rate by the same percentage. I'm no Einstein but something like either 440/442 or 442/440 (I think it's 440/442 because you want a smaller number. Once you find that percent then multiply 48000 by that (Should be lower than 48k). Then change your sample rate, taking all the audio and slowing it down so that A is 440. Then, once you do your editing, put the sample rate BACK at 48 k and viola! An in tune viola!

Aside from RME I don't think many audio interfaces allow you to set custom sample rates other than the standard 44.1k or 48k or multiples thereof.

• 2 years later...