Export track as audio file: Huge bug

Simon R.

Another huge bug that has been in Logic for years and is now causing me having to re-visit 20-30 tracks that I delivered in stems for a customer, going back and fixing what is caused by this. So frustrating.

Let me try a walkthrough:

1) Create a new empty project.

2) Create a software instrument that can do more than one output. Kontakt is used for the rest of this walkthrough. Make it multi timbral with 2 tracks.

3) Load 1 instrument that outputs to ST1, one to ST2 (in Kontakt) - so one instrument will output to the main channel strip, one will load to its first AUX channel.

4) Create the aux channel (clicking "+" sign on the channel strip).

5) Record something on both your MIDI tracks. Make sure track 1 is indeed sending to the main channel strip and the 2nd instrument is going to the AUX.

6) Now, change the output for the main channel to BUS 1. Change the output for the AUX to BUS 2 (they will appear in the mixer as mango yellow channel strips).

7) Choose "Create tracks" for both of your busses so they are in your arrange window.

8) In the arrange window, choose a range of bars as cycle range, so you can export that part of the track.

9) Position yourself on the track that belongs to BUS 2. This is probably called AUX 3.

10) Choose "Export 1 track as audio file". Do that and listen to the result. It is empty!

Logic will not export bus tracks' audio correctly UNLESS you are also exporting the main channel strip, which would here be BUS 1/AUX 2. If you choose BOTH tracks (AUX 2 and AUX 3) in the arrange, and export those two tracks, both tracks will come out right.

In my case, I have pretty complicated projects where I deliver final tracks in about 30 stems. So to be nice to the mixing engineer and not send too many tracks that contain nothing, I will try to deselect the tracks that I know he/she doesn't need. BIG mistake it seems, since this has created a ton of tracks where a lot of stuff is missing, because I have sometimes deselected what is the main channel strip.

Don't know if this makes sense to anyone, or - again - if this will ever be fixed. I think it's been here since the introduction of the "Export audio track" feature so... Not holding my breath.