computer hell...some projects play, some don't after OS upgrade

doofus

I just upgraded to a "new" Mac Pro running Mojave (my old Mac Pro could only run El Capitan). I used Migration Assistant to move my old startup drive over to a new drive on the Mojave machine. Everything seemed to move over fine, other than a few hiccups with Mail and some problems with permissions which I think I've solved. I copied my other drives from the older Mac Pro to a couple of newer/larger drives on the newer Mac Pro. I downloaded and installed a newer version of Focusrite Control, because I was under the impression that perhaps THATwas the reason I was having these problems (I use a Scarlett 18i8) and after doing that, I was told to do a firmware upgrade which I did. I did NOT upgrade Logic yet (I am running 10.3.3, which was the highest I could go on El Capitan).

What is occurring now is that some Logic projects will play audio, and others will not. They all open, the tracks are there, the audio and MIDI files are displayed, but whereas some work normally, others "play" with no sound output. The playhead moves, the channel strip meters show activity, but the main L/R output meters are blank. Trying to play an audio file in Audio File Editor or Project Audio (by click/holding on the file) also does not produce any sound (this has worked in the past on songs that were somehow corrupted and wouldn't play normally, showing that the audio was, in fact, "there"). It doesn't seem to matter if the projects were originally started here at home (on my older MP) or if they began at my partner's studio nearby (which usually was a couple of OS versions ahead of mine)...in other words, what's going on is random.

A couple of the songs that won't play through the Scarlett will play through the built-in audio's headphone jack. (I can also play songs in iTunes, or in the Finder, through both the built-in audio's headphone jack AND through the Scarlett). The computer has an upgraded video card (a Radeon RX 580) which may or may not be the reason that it doesn't seem to have a internal speaker like older Macs I've owned. It makes the startup chime but won't play sound through it's own speaker).

To make things even more confusing, at least one song in Logic (I didn't have time to go through a bunch of them) plays some of the audio tracks transposed down an octave (or two?? WTF) but seemingly at the correct tempo.

I'm feeling pretty unsure about all of this...I had a nice, stable system on El Capitan, but the computer stopped functioning abruptly a couple of weeks ago, I found a 12-core/2.93 Mac Pro on eBay for a decent price, and (because of the upgraded graphics card, I was told) it will not run earlier OS versions like El Capitan, so I'm stuck with Mojave. I figured, great, I can upgrade Logic, the computer is much, much faster than my earlier Mac Pro, so now everything will be good. But now I'm dealing with all of this nonsense. I am very interested to hear what you all have to suggest...I'm tempted (before even hearing what you have to say) to go ahead and update Logic to whatever version Mojave will run; I have everything backed up so I suppose if that doesn't help I could go back. But, part of me doesn't want to compound the problem...

thanks for reading, and I hope someone out there has some ideas! thanks-

d.

ok...so I took a chance and updated to Logic 10.5.1 (which took a bit of jumping through hoops) but in any event...same crazy results. Some projects play fine, others not at all, other have random tracks playing 2 octaves low (in time!) and I'm pretty sure I heard at least one track playing 2 octaves high (also in time). I'm completely baffled.

I used Migration Assistant when setting up my new iMac a year ago. It was a disaster. Some of this was due to migrating plugins which weren't compatible with the new OS. But I believe there may have been other, deeper, problems. In the end I had to wipe the drive and start from scratch, i.e. reinstall the OS, then download all applications software, plugins, etc.--after verifying they were compatible with the OS on my new iMac. Finally I moved my documents and other data over from my old iMac to the new. It was laborious but I've had zero problems since.

Jim

that sounds very tedious..I'm just wondering, since everything else seems to be working fine on the new machine, couldn't I just delete the Logic application and then drag over the Logic application from the old drive?

In any case, I'm not even sure if the Logic application is at fault, to be honest. Until recently, I could select any audio file in the Finder and play it by hitting the space bar. (I think Macs have done this for many years) Now, some audio files will play, and others won't. Just to be clear, they aren't located on the startup drive-they are on an external drive that houses a lot of my projects. So that drive is exactly as it was when I was using the earlier Mac.

I really hope that I don't have to re-do this entire move. s#!+...

I tried migrating my previous user acct. to the new computer a few times. Logic never worked properly.

It is true that wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS took some time. It also forced me to verify that all of my plugins were compatible with the new OS. Once I weeded out the older plugins Logic Pro worked as I expected. I'm happy to trade that outcome for the time it took me.

Maybe you can get everything up and running by migrating and if so, that's great.

update-ok..really not sure what the cause was. I updated some plugins, restarted a couple of times, and suddenly-voila!-everything seems to be working. opened a bunch of projects living on various drives and everything worked...The only thing that remained was that one particular project had a weird "edit" in it (that I'm sure I didn't do) where some tracks were transposed up/down several octave, and there was a 32 bar (?) gap between b-section and chorus that made no sense. Could have been an issue where I was in the middle of something and either the cat jumped on the keyboard when I went out of the room, or there was a power glitch (although I'm pretty well backed up, power-wise) or something like that-either way, I just deleted it and went back to a previous version which was fine)....I'm so relieved I don't seem to have a major software issue...wasn't looking forward to going back to square one with this "move". Thanks to all for your input!

Yikes! What a story. You said iTunes and other apps play fine, right? But the issues happen only within Logic. Are the other apps like iTunes using your Focusrite interface? If yes, I’d rule out your computer hardware and your audio interface - that all seems fine.

I’m curious if you create a new Logic project, making sure your audio interface is selected in Preferences, do you have any issues? If you can narrow down the issue to old Logic projects, I have some ideas.

I had random problems not just in Logic, but playing audio in Finder as well. Also it was happening not just through the Focusrite, but through the built-in audio as well. iTunes seemed to work fine though (?). After I re-authorized some plugins (Plugin Alliance, Metric Halo, Toontrack) in Logic, all the strange behavior disappeared. That seemed really odd; normally an unauthorized plugin doesn’t stop the track from outputting any audio, show no meter activity, etc. I’ve never experienced anything like this, and I’ve been using Logic since the Emagic days (started with 3.5).