Recorded tone does not match DI sound

M25

Has anyone encountered a problem where they use a digital guitar effects system (in my case it's the Axe-FX III MK II) and the tone you hear through headphones as you are recording does not match the recorded tone?

The guitar tone while I am playing has more crispness and clarity. More dynamic range. The recorded tone sounds like it might be compressed. It sounds like a lo res version. There are higher frequencies in a strummed chord, for example, that seem to be getting swallowed up and sound dull and faint. Effects seem less full. Flanger type effects seem less defined.

I am recording to empty tracks. There are no compressors or any other effects added to the slots. No EQ. Just fresh channel strips devoid of anything.

A couple weeks ago I figured out that I was recording in mono which was causing some problems with my sound originally. But that only helped so much.

So, I wonder if there is some setting somewhere that is on by default that is supposed to "help" but is possibly causing this degradation.

I am using a new MacBook Pro with extra RAM. Is it possible that the built in DAC just doesn't cut it for recorded sound quality?

that's a headphone jack, not an input.

get a usb audio interface; you can monitor thru it as well (ie, what you're recording, and what's already been recorded), in which case, you won't need software monitoring on... and all will be well.

EDIT: i imagine the mics on the mac are recording you; what's selected as the audio device in logic??

Yes, that's a pretty common setup error, monitoring both directly from the interface and also through Logic. Do the Axe work like an audio interface ? Is it set up in Logics audio preferences as input and output device ?

Yeah, the Axe shows up in the system preferences as input/output option and also in Logic as an output /input device.