Recording MIDI track to another MIDI track including Scripter transformations

OFS
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello everyone,

I'm using a Scripter plugin with some MIDI note transformations in order to better map Logic's Drummer sounds to an external drum plugin (Superior Drummer 3).

I'd like to know a way to make a new MIDI track that is the result of the original MIDI track plus the transformations made by the Scripter plugin, sort of like a "MIDI bounce" including the Scripter plugin changes.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks!

Miguel Barrosa

• Solution
Yes. You have to create an IAC (Inter Application Connection) bus in Audio MIDI Setup. That's a virtual MIDI Bus inside your Mac to route MIDI data from one source to a destination. Next in Logic you create a software instrument track with your MIDI FX plug-in and an external instrument plug-in routed to the IAC bus, and record the IAC bus on another track in Logic (IAC busses, like all MIDI sources, are automatically routed to any R-enabled track in Logic's Tracks area).

David, you’re the man! It’s amazing how you always seem to know how to solve the most obscure problems. Thanks!

Also thanks to Venk Ivanov, your solution seems easier although it costs money. I’ll check the plugin, if it’s not too expensive I may buy it.

David's suggestion to use IAC is the easiest way, and I also highly recommend for most people to just do it that way.

A couple things to point out

1. You can get midi feedback loops if you're not careful, which can result in locking up LogicPro requiring a force quit. So make absolutely sure you do not select the track with your Scripter script on it...when you're going to record it..otherwise you'll very likely get a midi feedback loop.

2. Using this method is not sample accurate. Its probably still accurate enough, within ms or sub-millisecond accuracy...but just want to point out that when the midi goes over IAC it becomes live midi, loses LogicPro's exact timestamp, and create a new time stamp on the fly when you record the result on the new track. You probably won't notice any difference, IAC is still very fast, but just FYI, its not sample accurate.

For the geeky out there...I made a free alternative to MidiFX Freeze...and its definitely not easier to use..,,,but it results in sample accurate rendering, for free.

you can find info about it here... https://gitlab.com/dewdman42/MainstageMidiPlayer/-/wikis/home

In order to use it, you have to put a special Scripter script I wrote into the next plugin slot after your script. Then it will capture some text in the script editor window in midicsv format. Then you have to copy and paste that into the clipboard and run that through the csvmidi cmd line program, which will generate a sample accurate midi file, which you can then import back into LogicPro. Yea...not as easy as midifx freeze by any stretch, but its also free and it has a few options that midifx freeze doesn't have for the midi resolution you want to use to capture the midi file and some other things. Last time I worked with the free version of MidiFX freeze, it also had some weird bugs that were not capturing everything quite right, but I can't remember what they were now or whether those things were fixed in the now non-free version.

Hi Dewdman42,

I have a sort of primal fear about the Audio MIDI setup in MacOS. Not as much as with the Logic Environment but pretty close... :-)

Anyway, thanks for your advice, between these three choices I think I can get it done.

Hi Dewdman42,

I have a sort of primal fear about the Audio MIDI setup in MacOS. Not as much as with the Logic Environment but pretty close... :-)

Anyway, thanks for your advice, between these three choices I think I can get it done.

No need to be afraid, the Audio MIDI Setup part is very easy:

1. In the Finder press Command-Shift-U to open your Utility folder.

2. Find and open Audio MIDI Setup (I press A then U to select it then Command-Down arrow to open it).

3. If the MIDI Studio isn't already open, choose Window > Show MIDI Studio.

4. Find the IAC icon and double-click it to open it.

5. Make sure the "Device is online" checkbox is selected and there's at least one bus in the Ports area.

That's all you have to do.

1217441600_IACBus.png.303ed44ca370a85e70ab4ee56c9da2a2.png