all my saved templates (and my current project) have disappeared

andyr

Why would that happen?

I was thinking about deleting unused templates but I didn't do anything about it. My project wasn't in the Open Recent list today, which was weird, then when I clicked Open, I went right to the My Templates window. Also weird, because usually I get a finder window where I can choose between projects on the Mac (very few) and those on my external hard drive. The templates were gone. The I searched the external drive and my project just isn't there.

Any suggestions?

Is it possible you trashed your preferences and your advanced tools are disabled? That changes the behavior when changing File > New: when advanced tools are not enabled, that opens the Template chooser, but when advanced tools are enabled, that opens a new project directly.

On the other hand, choosing File > Open (in case that's what you meant by "clicked Open") always opens a Finder browser from where you choose the project you want to open. It never opens the Template chooser, so my guess is you chose File > New.

I did shut down the computer and started up again.

It's been so long since I trashed my preferences that I'd need a refresher on how to do it, but if I remember correctly it doesn't seem like something I could do by accident. My advanced tools are enabled now, which is the way I usually have them. I don't remember ever disabling them. And yes, the way I usually work is to open the Finder Browser. It's only lately that I've been looking at templates. I did save my most recent project as a Template, but I never intentionally deleted that template or the project.

I’m not sure where the templates were saved, though I know I didn’t intentionally put them on my external drive. Aren’t templates saved by default on the Mac? At any rate, my external drive has been mounted all through this. The only thing missing from it that I notice is my project.