Logic and UA Apollo midi problem

Mikeygee17

I have an Apollo Twin running with Logic Pro 10.6.1

Recently I set up midi to run in logic via keyboard with Roland 2080. This works ok, I can record midi info into arrange page of logic and it plays back fine through Apollo Twin Line/MIc inputs. The problem arises when I try and bounce a mix. The midi instrument I hear playing back does not record onto the mix. It's not showing up in logic stereo out. But it does show on the meters in the UA Console. So the 2080 outputs are getting to UA console and playing back fine in Logic, but not there when I bounce the whole mix. Doesn't seem logical! I've looked at the UA Console settings I/o matrix, set it to default, but no difference. Running Catalina on an iMac.

Help please!

inputs

I have an Apollo Twin running with Logic Pro 10.6.1

Recently I set up midi to run in logic via keyboard with Roland 2080. This works ok, I can record midi info into arrange page of logic and it plays back fine through Apollo Twin Line/MIc inputs. The problem arises when I try and bounce a mix. The midi instrument I hear playing back does not record onto the mix. It's not showing up in logic stereo out. But it does show on the meters in the UA Console. So the 2080 outputs are getting to UA console and playing back fine in Logic, but not there when I bounce the whole mix.

My first guess would be that the inputs make their way into the interface but you are hearing them "hardware monitoring" style - basically independent of Logic. What you would need to do is route them directly to audio inputs and enable those inputs.

Can you make a screenshot of your mixer?

Thanks for reply. Here's a screenshot of my mixer. Not sure how to route them directly to audio inputs though! I can input microphone into

logic via my Apollo fine, but the line inputs don't seem to be as easy! The highlighted track is the midi strings in question.

Mike

mixer.thumb.png.aa58c7bbe30fc8e7432f6f4d837766ab.png

So, it looks like you have the MIDI data recorded to then get sent to the synth, but you don't have the audio tracks recording the returned signal, as hmowday was saying. Given that you can hear it play back and see the levels means that the audio is getting into Logic, so you need to use an existing audio track or create a new one, record enable it, and hit record for whatever you need to record. In a sense, you have to print the stems.

I see from the screenshot that you also have the UA mixer console open; could you post a screenshot of it, too?

There are two things to this: You need somehow to make the audio appear in Logic; and you probably also want to disable to direct routing to the UA output. Without it you would have the signal twice (once through Logic and once directly through the interface) which could lead to all sorts of irritation.

Hi Gacki - thanks. I'm away from base for a couple of days so can't send that screenshot until I get back. But will post it as soon as I'm there. I've managed to arm an audio track and record the individual midi track, which plays back in the mix now, but that's not going to be as convenient if I have to do that with every midi instrument I create. Surely there's a way for me to play in the output of my 2080 into the Apollo and for logic to see it and include it in my final mix in the arrange page?

Surely there's a way for me to play in the output of my 2080 into the Apollo and for logic to see it and include it in my final mix in the arrange page?

Absolutely; there might even be a way to "live mix" the material coming from the 2080 (although I also would suggest bouncing it first). We'll walk through this once you're back.

Let's see if we can approach this step by step.

First, if you mute the two channels in the UAD console the signal from the 2080 should no longer be audible, right? That's how we want it for the following.

Create a new audio track in Logic (one stereo track or two mono tracks, depending on how you work with the 2080). Assign the audio inputs from the UAD to this track (or those tracks). Enable "input monitoring" for those two tracks (the "I" next to the "R" in the mixer view). The signal from the 2080 should now appear in those two channels and should be audible. If you want to you can use the mixer to adjust the level and so on.

When doing a "real time" bounce the 2080 should be part of the resulting file.

If you want to take this one step further you could try to use the "External Instrument" plugin with an Instrument track (instead of a MIDI track) instead.

But in general I would always recommend to (additionally) record the output of external synths as an audio file so the whole project becomes "self contained".

Well that's worked Gacki - thank you so much! Although I scratched my head trying to assign the audio inputs from the Apollo - couldn't find a way of doing that, but the string line now gets recorded onto the bounce.

Just for future reference how does one assign those inputs from the apollo to a logic track? I have a lot to learn I'm afraid re track assigning and all that malarkey! Many thanks for your help.

Well that's worked Gacki - thank you so much! Although I scratched my head trying to assign the audio inputs from the Apollo - couldn't find a way of doing that, but the string line now gets recorded onto the bounce.

Just for future reference how does one assign those inputs from the apollo to a logic track? I have a lot to learn I'm afraid re track assigning and all that malarkey! Many thanks for your help.

If the Apollo (which I'm not familiar with) has just two inputs they are probably assigned to the channels automatically. Here's a part of your first screenshot:

Channels.png.842b2f8a202fbe64434335b1d4a89404.png

Two audio channels; left one ("Drum loop") is mono, right one ("still u sax 2") is stereo. Left one takes "In 1" for its signal (and you could change that to "In 2"); right one takes both "In 1" and "In 2" since it's stereo.

I'll check that out. Yes the Apollo has just two physical inputs - 2 mics or two inputs at the back via the same multi inputs and a single 1/4 inch jack input for an instrument at the front of the unit. It's also got an optical in but I don't use that. Thank you so much for all your help - really appreciated. Have a great week. all best Mike