Upgrading to a new OS on my IMAC

Jazzooo

First and most important question - do you really *need* to update the OS? Unless there is a valid reason to do so, don't bother, you're not gaining superpowers by mere upgrading.

That out of the way, while 10.2.4 might work (not sure. Anyone?), and all your recorded audio files will be ok, any 32bit plugins you have will certainly not work in Big Sur. Go to About this Mac... > System Report > Software > Older Software and see which apps, plugins or parts thereof are still 32 bit and will cease to work in Big Sur. If you can afford to replace or lose what's listed there, and still want to go on, then, well, go on.

Edited by fuzzfilth

First and most important question - do you really *need* to update the OS? Unless there is a valid reason to do so, don't bother, you're not gaining superpowers by mere upgrading.

That's an important point. And really: From 10.1.2? I doubt it. Probably 10.12?

It could be a good idea to upgrade to Mojave: It's (AFAIK) very stable and still allows 32 bit plugins (and applications). And it's still getting security updates which 10.12 isn't. And Mojave could run Logic 10.5.

My apologies, my current OS is 10.5.1, I believe. I love having to look at it as if I’m lacking some super powers :-), but in truth I’m just having too many programs that won’t work with this older OS anymore and I’m tired of screwing around with it.

Are you sure ?

To quote:

My apologies, my current OS is 10.5.1, I believe.

iMac late 2013 shipped with 10.8.4 or so; no way it runs something as ancient as OS 10.5. I suspect OP somehow mixed up everything as far as OS versions and Logic versions go. I'm at a loss what his actual configuration is. His footer says "Logic Pro X 10.2.4 (migrating from Logic Pro 9.1.7)".

Anyway, a late 2013 iMac ends at Catalina anyway. So it's either Mojave and Logic 10.5 or Catalina and Logic 10.6, right?

Wow, I don't know how I screwed up the info so badly: my OS is 10.10.5. My Logic is 10.2.4.

Sorry for the confusion.

My bluetooth keyboard bit the dust and I can't find a compatible one with the old OS--was using a wired one in the meantime but that also failed eventually. Now I am using a very old Apple bluetooth, hard to type on for me.

Several programs, including Safari and Outlook which I use a lot, have to be upgraded if I want to skip the grief of being told my versions aren't able to do what I want. once I reload Omnisphere and a few other software programs, I know I won't be able to get the latest upgrades and I'd like to play with them.

Not exactly superpowers, but I'd like to be able to work in WORD instead of Pages like I'm forced to do now.

10.10 is pretty old indeed; and the security fixes alone are critical.

High Sierra (10.13) brought APFS for internal SSDs; so that might be an issue (can't remember offhand if fusion drives were affected). Logic version 10.4.8 ist the highest that runs with it. The last security update was from last fall and I don't think it's going to get any future updates.

Mojave (10.14) is the last version to run 32 bit apps. It will get security updates for some time. Logic version 10.5 is supported.

Catalina (10.15) does away with support for 32 bit. Logic version is 10.6 (which is the newest) is supported.

Big Sur doesn't run on your machine, at least not natively.

I'd probably go with the Mojave/Logic 10.5 combo (I did this recently on one of my machines; the other one is still on High Sierra/10.4.8). Whether Logic 10.2.4 would still run on Mojave I don't know.

If you have lots of time you could try to update incrementally: The installers for El Capitan and Sierra are still available. Logic 10.2.4 came out during the El Capitan timeframe (I think).

From 10.1.2 to whatever is the new OS. Scared to death--will Logic 10.2.4 still work? If I have to upgrade Logic, what happens to the files for the last two albums I recorded?

I do backup regularly--automatically with Time Machine.

Thanks,

Doug

It looks like Catalina is the latest you can upgrade too.

Big Sur

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp833?locale=en_US

Catalina

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

If you want to do this upgrade but leave your current system fully intacted, get a second hard drive and put the new OSX on that second hard drive.

Test everything to make sure it's going to work with YOUR HARDWARE, and if everything looks good, upgrade your primary drive at a later date.