What exactly does a preamp in an interface drive......

Trashytommy

So, it’s 5.30am and I’ve been trying to troubleshoot a mic input problem for maybe eight hours. Im aware that the preamp will amplify the mic signal, but what else does it drive? I’m not getting input signal from my mic (mic to Apogee Duet). I’ve tried every damn thing but no luck. A guy in another forum suggested that the amp in the Duet might have got fried or just died - if that is the case wouldn’t the Duet stop driving my speakers?

Just trying to eliminate the possibility that my amp is fried as opposed to me overlooking a setting in Maestro, though I think I’ve tried every configuration with that.

Thanks Look....don’t need phantom power as I’m using an SM7b dynamic, though out of desperation I did try phantom power - no go. Tried changing cables, making sure Duet cables were tight etc. pretty much done everything and I’m starting to resign myself to the fact that the Duet has gone bad.

The radio's are being picked up by either the mic or ther interface. What happens if you switch your input device to the built in mic? I bet the radio becomes silent then. So, radio still there with different mics? The Duet is bad. Get (borrow) a different audio interface and plug the Sure into it to confirm.

If it still remains, find out if you are somehow near a strong transmitter. - though any good interface should be shielded sufficiently.