Is there a way to set Logic Normalization and Low Latency Defaults

Maestro777

There have been 2 areas where I've been bitten more than once and I never seem to catch it until an after thought occurs.

1. Normalization on bouncing mix downs

2. Low Latency on recording

The first one happens when I bounce my audio down and run it through an analyzer to ensure the mix meets Loudness standards of different platforms. At times I forget to turn Logic's Normalization feature off and wonder why after every subsequent tweak to my loudness settings seem to be unaffected on the final mix. Then there's that ahh moment and I remember Normalization is turned on by default which skews my intended result.

The second scenario occurs after I've recorded vocal takes and on playback they are seconds out of sync with my content. Then I remember to turn on the Low Latency feature and VOILA!

So the question is... Is there a way to set these two settings to have Normalization always off and Low Latency always on by default in my projects? I don't ever have need of Normalization being on or Low Latency disengaged and I'd rather deal with these settings on those rare instances where I "may" need them than to always have to set them every time I begin working in a Project.

Normalization on/off remains in the state you set it, so if you turn it off once, it stays off.

LLM is also a preference and remains on until you actively set it off.

Thanks for the response but unless there is an issue with my installation of Logic, I have not found that to be the case.

I checked again after reviewing your post and your statement may hold true as the behavior for Normalization, so I'll keep an eye on that.

But Low Latency Mode definitely defaults to "off" unless I turn it on with every subsequent launch of my Projects.

LLM appears to remain in whatever setting I make upon the initial opening of my Project but that setting is not retained between one Project to another. I've confirmed it many times.

LLM is a recording feature. If you turn it on it'll bypass plugins and bus routings, so it'll change your mix. The common practice is to not use latency inducing plugins when still in the recording phase. But if you have to use it, then it is just not making sense to turn it on when bouncing; instead you should remove the bypassed plugins (they are not included in your bounce anyway, if you have LLM on when bouncing).

Thanks guys.

All very valid points of which I hadn't fully considered so it would appear that the best solution to my concern is to do as previously suggested and have it added to my Control bar so I don't have to always go to Preferences to see the status and to toggle it on and off.

I use UAD plugins most of the time for near zero latency anyway but I do note a significant difference when recording Vocals in a large Project to always have LLM on. However I hadn't considered the caveats of having it always on for recording purposes and not turning it off during a bounce of the mix.

All the posts here led me to read more on the topic and I found this which really brought some aspects I hadn't considered to the forefront

Low Latency Mode In-Depth Explanation

After viewing the video, I better understand how and when to engage it. So Control Toolbar it is :)