Anybody here comment on Apogee converters vs Focuseite?

Trashytommy

While working through issues with my Duet and was convinced it might be dead and I’ll need a new interface I started looking at the Scarlett 8i88 and was amazed at the features. My Duet turned out to not be dead but now after seeing the features the Scarlett has to offer I could be tempted unless there would be much of a difference in sound quality - anybody here been able to compare these two units regarding converters. I know the Duet is held in high regard for its converters and while I haven’t read anything negative about the converters in the Scarlett I’m wondering how they stack up against the Duet.

More inputs for a start, Fus - too many features to mention with that after watching a one hour video. My main issue would be sacrificing sound quality for features and I wouldn’t want to do that. The Scarlett isn’t a super expensive unit, so I could be tempted, but not prepared to go to an RME unit for sound quality and features because of price. If I’m honest with myself this was a “spontaneous” thing and not something I “have” to have at this point at the novice level I’m at.

Unless you’re building a dedicated, professional studio from the ground up, the preamps, monitors, and your room treatment will likely be more of an issue than the converters. I’d say stick with the Apogee for now unless you absolutely need more inputs (and even then, I might just get a Scarlett to run an aggregate setup to keep the Apogee for the main output… but then, I guess I’m talking about the converters after all).