Controller assignments issue

Danny Wyatt

So I've assigned my MIDI controller to certain plugins' parameters such as CutOff, Envelope parameters, etc.

Now the issue is that I can only make them work if I open the Controller Assignments window and manually select the Mode that contains those assignments (it adds a little dot to the left).

Is it possible to make this work without doing this (opening the window and clicking the mode)?

For example in this situation I am able to use the controller with Alchemy, but if I replace it with the ES2, it won't work until I click the ES2 mode

1713495758_ScreenShot2021-04-17at12_28_44PM.png.9faa8a57297474f2d6e7a4d4c22aac08.png

UPDATE: I was reading Apple's docs and here's what I seemed to understand: I would create a Zone per synth and then different Modes to make each knob/fader be assigned to different parameters, pretty much like using different MIDI channels to assign the same knob/fader to different parameters. Like an ON/OFF switch (hence the dot on the left). Is that right?

You'd need to make a MIDI control do a Mode Change to the desired Mode. Currently, you're selecting that Mode and making it active by clicking on it, but otherwise, you won't have activated that Mode, hence why those assignments don't respond.

The dot shows you the currently active mode (so it will also move when you press a button on your controller that does a Mode Change).

If you don't want to put controls into a Mode, then use modeless assignments by putting the into the (No Mode) selection - those assignments will always be active, regardless of what Mode is active.

You'd need to make a MIDI control do a Mode Change to the desired Mode. Currently, you're selecting that Mode and making it active by clicking on it, but otherwise, you won't have activated that Mode, hence why those assignments don't respond.

The dot shows you the currently active mode (so it will also move when you press a button on your controller that does a Mode Change).

If you don't want to put controls into a Mode, then use modeless assignments by putting the into the (No Mode) selection - those assignments will always be active, regardless of what Mode is active.

So it's what I wrote on my bold text underneath the image... they are like "banks"

I don't really understand what you are trying to say by that - I don't know what you mean by "blanks"...

A zone is a grouping of physical controls on your control surface. A Mode is a Mode you can put that grouping of controls, so you can use the same set of controls for different purposes - eg, you can say "My knobs are EQ knobs now", or "My knobs are instrument plugin edit knobs now) etc.

Obviously how you implement your own custom controller schemes is up to you - and Logic's terminology and layout can be conceptually quite confusing until you grok it (I know it was tremendously confusing to me back around the LP7 time I got into this), but the more you work with it the more it sinks in and you get how to setup the things you need, and the things it can do, and it's limitations etc...

I wrote “banks”, not “blanks” ;)

What I mean is that Modes are like banks of controls that you turn on or off. For example I can have 3 knobs that do different things depending on the Mode (bank) that’s active. I already set up my zones and modes and everything’s working as expected now