Recording Delay Assistance

andyjohnmm

Frustrating stuff. Noticed my recordings were being displaced late weeks back. Did the "ping" test based on suggestions here and got a result of +58 samples. Set delay slider to -58. Now things seemed too early. Did an actual cable out of 1 to input 1 with a transient and got a similar result so I've left the slider as is. Seems my percussion and claps are all just slightly behind the beat though (Monitoring the input from SSL2+ interface and click up nice and loud - it's not my playing that is the issue). Can't seem to find a once and for all answer to getting the audio track laid down to be the actual performance. Could it have something to do with my buffer size always set to 1024 because I'm monitoring from the direct input and don't use the monitoring from the program? Thanks very much.

Could it have something to do with my buffer size always set to 1024 because I'm monitoring from the direct input and don't use the monitoring from the program?

With such a high buffer, the recordings will always be late.

Put the buffer at 32 and monitor from Logic and see how that works.

And put the recording delay slider back to 0.

Thanks to all replies. Being deeper into the session, with multiple software synths and many tracks, running the session with the buffer that low causes overload. Is there a way to get a definitive delay adjustment using my direct monitoring from the interface (which I'm most accustomed to) but use say, 512 as my buffer selection? Seemed the audio was actually ending up ahead of the beat, not late, as previously stated (even with the delay slider set to zero!). The Large session can still run at that 512 selection, though I'm unsure if my recordings are actually what I'm recording, if you will. They seem close, but how can I be sure they are dead on, using the direct monitoring from the SSL+?

Very much appreciate your knowledge on this. I have been reading other posts etc., Though I'm still unclear on the matter, admittedly.

All

Yes, went through the "heavier" tracks and froze them. So that is in place, though, I'm still wondering if I say, set my buffer to 512, and do a test with running a signal out and back in - and delaying the recording with the slider one way or another to accommodate the discrepancy - will this be a final say in how I should have that slider set - and then using that buffer size from now on I'll know to leave it there and be comforted knowing my recordings are "true" and displayed/playing correctly down to the sample? All of that using the direct input monitoring on my interface? I'd like to be able to continue using it.

Many thanks again.

With the 512 buffer size selected, I did a "ping" test with the i/o plugin and adjusted the delay slider accordingly (to -50 samples). Using the direct input monitoring from the interface, with Software Monitoring off, It seems the recording is still being placed early (clapping to the click). Same thing happens when I use Software monitoring and no direct input sound at all. Is it possible the recorded audio is still somehow being placed early?

Okay. Will attempt that.

Wondering, is there any instance where Logic will put a recording early - "ahead" of the grid - even when the delay slider is set to zero? Really focusing in on getting the claps on beat, with slider set to zero, though they still seem consistently placed early, just slightly. This is at 512 buffer setting.

I see. Okay. Using direct input monitoring from the interface - is there a chance the audio recording would somehow end up being placed early that way more so than monitoring from logic?

Also, do samples I created and am using within drum machine designer remain unaffected if changing the tempo the session?

Thanks.

I see, yes. Recent test, using 512 buffer size, with direct input monitoring from interface, the audio seems to be placed correctly. Thing is, if I do the ping test or a test using a recorded transient - it seems to suggest that I should be setting the delay slider to place the audio early. Are you saying this test is not applicable if I'm using direct monitoring?

And the audio clip samples in drum machine designer - I can find information on regular track clips being affected when changing tempo of session, but what about the samples I've assigned to cells - do they stay at the original quality and pitch I originally recorded them at if moving the tempo around?

Thanks again.

I see, yes, okay. Using the direct monitoring from the interface, or in effect "no" monitoring by just hearing what's happening in the room outside of the headphones, is it safe to say that file will be placed sample-correct using - in this example - a 512 buffer size?

I see, yes, okay. Using the direct monitoring from the interface, or in effect "no" monitoring by just hearing what's happening in the room outside of the headphones, is it safe to say that file will be placed sample-correct using - in this example - a 512 buffer size?

The only way to tell is by testing it and record with those settings. You can zoom in to the sample to see where the transient starts.