Editing Solo Piano ???

Pianoworldstage

Hi

Would just like to ask if there is any way to render a professional Piano recording without having to spend countless hours sometimes days over editing. I understand compression attenuates for the dynamics and quantization for on the beat timing, however there doesn't seem to be a feature that facilitates for the velocity of notes.

I've just spent three days editing a solo Piano piece in regard to timing, velocity and tempo as it was recorded in free form. I'm in no way trying to achieve without working for the result, but was wondering if their was a feature in Logic Pro that could help to quicken the process up?

The amount of editing required is equal to the distance between what is there and what the end result should be. If I find myself editing velocity, pitch and timing of every note, I begin to question the performance and consider re-recording. If that is not an option, I soldier my way through it and bill the client accordingly.

The amount of editing required is equal to the distance between what is there and what the end result should be. If I find myself editing velocity, pitch and timing of every note, I begin to question the performance and consider re-recording. If that is not an option, I soldier my way through it and bill the client accordingly.

perfectly put (and what i was about to say in my next post... :mrgreen: ...)

fuzzfilth nails it again, I would add that you should enjoy the process and be patient, as spending time editing note velocities, volume, and timing will teach your ears to be more acute to those parameters, which means in turn you'll hear these subtleties with more accuracy when listening to music, and, being now more aware of them, will in turn make you a better musician and perform better.

So even when you may feel like you're wasting precious time, you're in fact making great strides ahead.

:D

Thanks for you feedback everyone, very helpful.

My question is mainly focused on trying to attenuate for velocity, smoothing of notes, and timing. My performance is decent, and the overall recording sounds well, however like all of us, we have our own standard of quality and professionalism, especially when recording a commercial CD, therefore it needs to be CD quality.

I've been told MIDI Compression can help compensate for the issue of note velocity, a feature I've never used before, Fisherking suggested the MIDI FX compressor? and smart quantize? Could these features help to facilitate an improvement regarding velocity and timing?

Thanks for you feedback everyone, very helpful.

My question is mainly focused on trying to attenuate for velocity, smoothing of notes, and timing. My performance is decent, and the overall recording sounds well, however like all of us, we have our own standard of quality and professionalism, especially when recording a commercial CD, therefore it needs to be CD quality.

I've been told MIDI Compression can help compensate for the issue of note velocity, a feature I've never used before, Fisherking suggested the MIDI FX compressor? and smart quantize? Could these features help to facilitate an improvement regarding velocity and timing?

try them! play with the settings, see what you can do. but always best to try to play everything as you want first... or get as close as you can...

fuzzfilth nails it again, I would add that you should enjoy the process and be patient, as spending time editing note velocities, volume, and timing will teach your ears to be more acute to those parameters, which means in turn you'll hear these subtleties with more accuracy when listening to music, and, being now more aware of them, will in turn make you a better musician and perform better.

So even when you may feel like you're wasting precious time, you're in fact making great strides ahead.

:D

Thanks for those words of wisdom David, I'm sure your right.