Midi Controller (M-Audio Oxygen 25) triggering some Instruments, and not others??!

daveohiggins
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi Guys,

Recently whilst trying to lay down midi parts, my Midi Controller (M-Audio Oxygen 25) is triggering some Instruments, and not others - all in the same session.

In fact, as I scroll down the instrument list and play the very same note each time, about half play a sound, and half don't.

It's super-weird and have no idea what's going on. I've tried 'Bypassed all control surfaces' and have cleared any controller assigments relating to the Ozone. I've also restarted the iMac a number of times but no change.

Work flow is a nighmare as a result!

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

DO'H (Spec below)

Mojave 10.14.6

Logic 10.4.8

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 429.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.22f16

Thanks...It's on Channel 1...Still the same issue.

As I scroll down the instrument list and play the very same note each time, about half play a sound, and half don't. The ones that don't trigger sounds, still have midi incoming signals on the logic display, so I know the Oxygen is still talking to Logic successfully....

Ok, which instruments specifically aren't triggering sounds? Are they multitimbral ones? If you open one of those "non-working" ones on a new track (or in a new project), does the keyboard play them correctly, or not? Are those instrument tracks set at an appropriate volume, routed to the main outputs and not muted?

• Solution

Ok - Omnisphere is a multitimbral instrument, so each of it's 8 Parts can respond to different MIDI channels. If you are playing MIDI channel 1 from your controller, but you have a part in Omnisphere set to receive on MIDI channel 2, then nothing will happen.

So, you need to check the MIDI channels on the Parts in Omnisphere you are using, and make sure that they match - if you are only using Omni mono-trimbtally (ie one musical part per instance), then use everything on MIDI channel 1. If you are using several sounds at once, then make sure the MIDI channels are set correctly for the corresponding Part you want that track to play.

What I did - Selected the Omnisphere track and went to track parameters in Logic.

Set the Channel to 1 instead of All.

Great!

Note - If that worked, then your recorded MIDI events (and/or your controller playing the notes) were not on channel 1 - which comes back to - make sure your keyboard is transmitting on MIDI channel for the most hassle-free time! When set to "All", the track (and incoming MIDI events) are passed through unchanged - so any MIDI channel 2 events will come through as MIDI channel 2. By setting it to one, you're saying "Any events that come through, regardless of the channel they are on, should be forced to MIDI channel 1", which is why the instrument, receiving on MIDI channel 1, now plays.