whats the most simple to use? Autotune or Melodyne?

kerochan

melodyne is flex pitches smarter brother (full disclosure: i live & die by flex pitch); autotune does ok at making things better, but shines doing the 'autotune effect' thing.

flex pitch is pretty great, if you manage your expectations. i use it to fine-tune pitches, occasionally change one, and to create vocal harmonies (some of it's quirkiness vanishes when used under another vocal track).

Flex Pitch being the native way to do it in Logic is certainly the easiest. Melodyne and Autotune are two alternatives, there are more alternatives out there. I don't believe a single one is "the best" so depending on the material you're tuning, the kind of tuning you're trying to achieve etc... you will have to experiment on your own. hopefully some of those solutions offer some kind of trial.

While back when I started I was frequently looking for "the best" tool for any given application, my take lately has been: keep it simple, learn to use one tool very well, whatever you have on hand should generally do the job. Working in professional studios, I've learned to just do the job with whatever was installed on the machine I was using at the time I was using it, or whatever the producer wanted me to use only because they were familiar with it and that's what they had and therefore that's the only choice I had. And I realized that with time and experience, you end up always making it work.

What's the saying? Perfect is the enemy of good. Better have one tool you're really familiar with and learn to truly sharpen those ears and get to know exactly what you want and how to achieve it with that tool than try to learn all of them for the elusive goal of finding "the best" one.

I'll give you a concrete example. Back when Final Cut Pro X was released and Apple was working hard at convincing everyone it was the absolute best video editing software out there, I traveled to Cupertino and met with the team responsible for producing the advertisement videos for the newly released FCP X. And guess what. All those videos were fully produced in Final Cut 7. Why? Because that's what was stable back then, that's what they were used to, and that's what they were confident they could use to produce professional looking videos quickly and efficiently, no matter what "the best" was back then.

Flex Pitch being the native way to do it in Logic is certainly the easiest. Melodyne and Autotune are two alternatives, there are more alternatives out there. I don't believe a single one is "the best" so depending on the material you're tuning, the kind of tuning you're trying to achieve etc... you will have to experiment on your own. hopefully some of those solutions offer some kind of trial.

While back when I started I was frequently looking for "the best" tool for any given application, my take lately has been: keep it simple, learn to use one tool very well, whatever you have on hand should generally do the job. Working in professional studios, I've learned to just do the job with whatever was installed on the machine I was using at the time I was using it, or whatever the producer wanted me to use only because they were familiar with it and that's what they had and therefore that's the only choice I had. And I realized that with time and experience, you end up always making it work.

What's the saying? Perfect is the enemy of good. Better have one tool you're really familiar with and learn to truly sharpen those ears and get to know exactly what you want and how to achieve it with that tool than try to learn all of them for the elusive goal of finding "the best" one.

I'll give you a concrete example. Back when Final Cut Pro X was released and Apple was working hard at convincing everyone it was the absolute best video editing software out there, I traveled to Cupertino and met with the team responsible for producing the advertisement videos for the newly released FCP X. And guess what. All those videos were fully produced in Final Cut 7. Why? Because that's what was stable back then, that's what they were used to, and that's what they were confident they could use to produce professional looking videos quickly and efficiently, no matter what "the best" was back then.

Cheers so much for that David, all valid points. I prefer the simple life too, I will make it work! Thank you