Best way to edit drum tracks?

murrayhillmac

Hey everybody––––Im back on Logic, after being away for a couple years... Logic pro x is still a little confusing after Logic 9...

SO–––i have a session with the demo and click each on separate tracks.

The real physical drummer at the session, played a little AHEAD of the beat (he was playing to a click, but fell off it a bit)

Quesion: I have 11 (eleven) mono tracks of drums, and a stereo bounce of all of them together on it's own track.

What would you suggest I do to bring the more in line with the click?

Groove template?

Flex and Follow?

Beat Mapping?

Flex time?

not sure what the difference is between these options

I've only used flex time before, but only on vocal and guitars.

Thanks for any enlightenment or advice. I've never edited live drum tracks before, and I have some trepidation to be honest!

The first question is - did he purposely rush ? If so, you need to keep everything where it is, else you lose the tension that he induced. If not, do you like what you hear ? Then you need to Beatmap Logic's bar grid to the drumming performance. Else you can the reverse by turning on Flex and quantizing the drums to get them on the bar grid. Before turning on Flex, put the drums into a Group with Quantize-Locked Editing enabled so all drum tracks stay in sync while flexing.

Thank you fuzzfilth for your reply!

I don't he purposely rushed––he's played to click many times, but this was at the end of the session––so I think just got a little careless :)

I don't like the rushed drums, and I should have listened more carefully at the recording session.

I would like to keep the original demo performance, as it has a nice laid–back feel. So I guess I'll try your second suggestion–––flex and quantizing the 11 tracks of drums–––thank you for the "Group with Quantize Locked Editing enabled"––I have no idea what that is, but I'll google it