External Instrument not showing midi destinations correctly

bailhe

After years working with my system, External Instrument plugin appears to have issues. Midi Destinations shows only two dashes for the first port on my MOTU MTPAV. The other ports show correctly as named and identified in Audio/Midi setup. The first port used to correctly show it is identified as Oasys and that port, of course, is connected to my Oasys. When a project loads, it will sound recorded midi tracks through the Oasys, but strangely, the External Instrument plugin shows it's playing through a Midi Destination identified as my Octapad which is connected to Port #2 on the MTPAV. It will record midi from Oasys and play it back, but if I change the midi destination to the two dashes that seem to identify MTPAV port 1, playback fails and switching back to Octapad on Port 2 then also fails.

I'm stumped. Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

External Plugin screen shot shows double dashes as Midi Destination for what should be Port 1 of my MTPAV and labelled "Oasys." As it now comes up, it also shows only "All" for available channels on that instrument/port. The other instruments show 16 selectable channels.

Environment Instruments screen shot shows the Oasys on port 1 with 16 channels available and my Octapad on port 2. These are my only midi input devices.

Click & Ports shot shows everything correctly Oasys port1, Ocatpad port 2, Kurz MicroPiano port 3, and Roland U220 on port 4 (the last two kept for old and archived tracks).

Although I am not running system-wide sync at the moment, all gear set to "internal," the Midi Sync shot seems to be incorrect. Shouldn't the list displayed match the External Instrument port list?

Really appreciate you taking a look.

1970947781_ExternalInstrPlugin.png.89c2ec2e3e576a562edb5a48169cb7f7.png

1153626016_Environmentinstrumnets.png.5e32f0b753dccf5d8140457780e49a65.png

1032754924_ClickampPorts.thumb.png.ac28663b6f1e19831f7018cc7cf1284d.png

1491741331_MidiSync.png.06769b41f2a3ed1d509ad2d59cc48bd7.png

Could you also post a pic of the Audio/MIDI setup configuration?

The first thing that irritates me is the mixture of port names. The environment shows a "Port 4" and "Octapad" but the "External Instrument" plugin shows "U220" and "Port 2" for those instead.

The "Sync" panel has another combination; and I wonder where the entry above "Port 2" in that screenshot goes (because I would expect this to be Port 1 which should be connected to the Oasys - which has another entry altogether here).

There certainly is something weird in that setup.

Audio/MIDI setup shows 10 ports for the Timepiece: 1-8 plus the Net and ADAT port.

Looking at the library picture I see 7 Timepiece ports plus KMP, Oasys, Octapad and U220. This makes 11 ports. Perhaps this has something to do with the Octapad being just connected to the input and not the output so it could be normal - I'm not sure about that.

Let me think about the situation from a different point of view, perhaps it makes more sense to me then:

The "click and ports" screenshot shows only the inputs "by name" hence only Oasys and Octapad show up by name here. Port 3 and 4 are only used as outputs hence don't get a name. So far, so logical.

The "External Instrument" plugin only shows the outputs "by name" hence Port 2 gets the generic name (since it's only used as an input). "KMP" and "U220" are used as outputs so they are displayed by name. This of course doesn't explain the problem with the Oasys yet.

So the Oasys would be the only instrument in the setup that is used both for input and output. Hmmm...

The Sync panel looks strange (as you wrote before). I get why Port 2 has no name - but why doesn't the U220 show up?

What happens when you move the Oasys to a different port?

• 2 weeks later...
If you create an external MIDI track, what destinations do you see available in the Library? Can you share a screenshot? How to attach files to your post

Hi David, having a problem with Logic Pro X. Just installed it to my Macbook Pro, and while setting up the external instrument, keyboard, the pop up menu doesnt seem to have the MIDI destination option. Kindly help. See the screenshot attached, Thankyou

1670705478_Screenshot2021-05-11at19_37_41.thumb.png.1b499333a80f515cbad2707a4707e8b1.png

David, in case there's some confusion, I've gotten my template and environment worked out. User SM254 is apparently asking about his own issue. For me, this matter is resolved.

Hi bailhe, thanks for chiming in, and very good to hear you got it resolved — and sorry that I wasn't able to help you further on your issue. How did you resolve it exactly?

Hey David, I've found a work around through it, thankyou so much tho

Great! Good to hear too. How did you work around it I wonder? I still can't explain your issue, I've never seen the external instrument plug-in missing the destination pop-up menu like that before.

• 3 months later...

Hi David, did you ever get info on SMM254's work around, as I am having the same issue.

My Rev2 was appearing correctly, and is showing as available in Audio MIDI Setup, but will not appear as a MIDI destination for an External Instrument in Logic

Thanks

Ben

• 7 months later...

Pardon me for not explaining what I did to resolve. I thought it was probably my unique mess and of little interest to others. A I remember, I went through every Logic dialogue/page where any of this info was listed and deleted duplicate or erroneous entries. Dialogue/Pages to check include:

Preferences/Midi/Inputs

File/Project Settings/Midi

Window/Open Environment/Clicks & Ports and Mdi Instr.

Also check for errors/duplicates in your Audio/Midi Setup/Midi Studio.

I hope that's some help.

Pardon me for not explaining what I did to resolve. I thought it was probably my unique mess and of little interest to others. A I remember, I went through every Logic dialogue/page where any of this info was listed and deleted duplicate or erroneous entries. Dialogue/Pages to check include:

Preferences/Midi/Inputs

File/Project Settings/Midi

Window/Open Environment/Clicks & Ports and Mdi Instr.

Also check for errors/duplicates in your Audio/Midi Setup/Midi Studio.

I hope that's some help.

Thanks a lot bailhe for doing this. It's always helpful when someone who manages to fix their own issues posts some details about how they went about it.

Hopefully that can provide some helpful information for Quentinivy ?