Apple Event April 2021: New 24" M1 iMac, Touch ID keyboard, Airtag

you know you can do ilok in software? i haven't seen the ilok dongle in years (it's probably at the bottom of a drawer).

Not for everything. Some software still requires a hardware dongle, and doesn't support HD authorisation (it's a weaker protection). Almost everything iLok I have supports HD auths and that's the way I prefer to go. The one thing I have that doesn't support HD auths does support iLok Cloud as opposed to the physical dongle, so that's the way I use that. My iLok dongle is an old V1 iLok anyway, so doesn't support the current dongle auths that require iLok V2 or V3...

This is what I heard also!

You can always vacuum-clean the fans and their grills. That's a good start.

I tried couple month's ago but unfortunately it didn't help much. I'm scared of the summer that's coming my iMac get very hot in recent years especially in summer :shock:

It's also crazy that you have no problems with 4 RAM and a big project with more then 50 tracks.

I never use the activity monitor, what should I pay attention to?

But my iMac is old so, I don't think it can be anything else then the dusty fans, and being a old mac.

look at what uses up cpu (processing power), and memory. & try the reboot trick, it helped on my (previous) macbook pro. make sure when you restart no apps are set to reopen. and again, open only logic, see how things go. plus (as david said), you can clean the fans (google this! proceed carefully)...

I going to check, I dit a fast check and when I had opened a big project in Logic my activity monitor displays:

CPU

System:5,54%

User: 44,79%

Inactive: 49,97 %

you know you can do ilok in software? i haven't seen the ilok dongle in years (it's probably at the bottom of a drawer).

Not for everything. Some software still requires a hardware dongle, and doesn't support HD authorisation (it's a weaker protection). Almost everything iLok I have supports HD auths and that's the way I prefer to go. The one thing I have that doesn't support HD auths does support iLok Cloud as opposed to the physical dongle, so that's the way I use that. My iLok dongle is an old V1 iLok anyway, so doesn't support the current dongle auths that require iLok V2 or V3...

Without forgetting that iLok servers are down 2 to 3 times a year and so is your app/plugin if you're on iLok Cloud...

Blink

so, older software doesn't support this? i thought everything ilok could be authorized thru software now; so it goes. am glad, personally, to have one less thing to plug in...

Without forgetting that iLok servers are down 2 to 3 times a year and so is your app/plugin if you're on iLok Cloud...

Blink

i have never once experienced an issue, and have been using the software auth for years....

i have never once experienced an issue, and have been using the software auth for years....

And? I have never died but heard other humans did.... :mrgreen:

haha... what??

am saying i've not had an issue in all the years i've used software ilok. am not a paranoid person, so will continue to work. and if something does happen, will cross that bridge when i get to it (like taking the dongle out of the drawer, and plugging it in). simple!

I'm not saying it's an *ideal* solution, but I'd rather do that than spend £40 on a new iLok for one plugin.

so, older software doesn't support this? i thought everything ilok could be authorized thru software now; so it goes. am glad, personally, to have one less thing to plug in...

No, as I said, not every vendor chooses to support particular iLok features, just like, say Steinberg, which owns their elicenser platform - most of Steiny's products can be software authorised or dongle authorised, except the big boys, the pro versions of Cubase and Wavelab, which can *only* be authorised on the hardware dongle - higher protection, same with iLok.

Sonnox are another dev that doesn't support iLok software auths, they are also dongle or iLok Cloud only, as are LiquidSonics.

I'm not saying it's an *ideal* solution, but I'd rather do that than spend £40 on a new iLok for one plugin.

No, as I said, not every vendor chooses to support particular iLok features, just like, say Steinberg, which owns their elicenser platform - most of Steiny's products can be software authorised or dongle authorised, except the big boys, the pro versions of Cubase and Wavelab, which can *only* be authorised on the hardware dongle - higher protection, same with iLok.

Sonnox are another dev that doesn't support iLok software auths, they are also dongle or iLok Cloud only, as are LiquidSonics.

i got it, am not arguing anything, as in: "i thought everything ilok could be authorized thru software now; so it goes"

Since Macbook Pros have four Tbolt ports, you'd think the iMac (and the Mac Mini as well) would also have four. I'm not a power user needing four Tbolt ports, but still...

To those who dislike the chin, if the thing was thicker not only could the computer be behind the screen but maybe there could be an onboard power supply, too.

Apple never cease to surprise me :roll:

Since Macbook Pros have four Tbolt ports, you'd think the iMac (and the Mac Mini as well) would also have four. I'm not a power user needing four Tbolt ports, but still...

No, they can't do that with the M1, this is one reason the M1 machines are all entry level, the chip doesn't support more than two channels of TB.

On the M1 iMac machines with four ports, it's two TB, and two USB, and those USB ports are just hubbed off from the TB ports, so it's still to channels to the processor.

The Macbook Pros - proper ones, not the entry level M1 laptops - will come with a better M1X chip that will support more channels and more RAM.

To those who dislike the chin, if the thing was thicker not only could the computer be behind the screen but maybe there could be an onboard power supply, too.

Yep, I made that point previously. I think they regard the chin are iconic to the iMac design though, and a way to recognise the computer and not just think it's a monitor.

My Pro Tools, iZotope and XILS-Lab licenses all working on my new M1, FYI.

These are iLok? I don't think iZotope uses iLok...

And is this natively, or under Rosetta? I was under the impression that iLok didn't run on the newer machines due to the low level drivers etc necessary, but perhaps I'm wrong on that?

Hmm, Googling suggests it works under Rosetta, so that's good for the short term at least... thanks, good to know!

My Pro Tools, iZotope and XILS-Lab licenses all working on my new M1, FYI.

These are iLok? I don't think iZotope uses iLok...

And is this natively, or under Rosetta? I was under the impression that iLok didn't run on the newer machines due to the low level drivers etc necessary, but perhaps I'm wrong on that?

Hmm, Googling suggests it works under Rosetta, so that's good for the short term at least... thanks, good to know!

hmmm, good question. am not at my imac, but am sure none of my (many) izotope plugins are authorized thru ilok (or is that perhaps optional? that might explain it)...

you'll need an adaptor (ie usb A to C). you know you can do ilok in software? i haven't seen the ilok dongle in years (it's probably at the bottom of a drawer).

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/How-to-activate-license-to-the-iLok-cloud

Thanks Fisherking but which port does the adaptor get plugged into? the 4 ports are identical!

you'll need an adaptor (ie usb A to C). you know you can do ilok in software? i haven't seen the ilok dongle in years (it's probably at the bottom of a drawer).

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/How-to-activate-license-to-the-iLok-cloud

Thanks Fisherking but which port does the adaptor get plugged into? the 4 ports are identical!

there are icons over the ports, so NOT the ones with the thunderbolt symbol (looking at the back, it's the 2 ports on the left that are usb). any of them will work, but the thunderbolt ports will support faster devices.

on my 2019 intel imac, i have external drives in the thunderbolt ports, and my interfaces, keyboard, etc in the other 3 (including a hub in one). you can even find hubs that take usb A, but end in a usb c plug (so for that, no adapter needed). if you buy a new imac, you'll sort it out...

there are icons over the ports, so NOT the ones with the thunderbolt symbol (looking at the back, it's the 2 ports on the left that are usb). any of them will work, but the thunderbolt ports will support faster devices.

on my 2019 intel imac, i have external drives in the thunderbolt ports, and my interfaces, keyboard, etc in the other 3 (including a hub in one). you can even find hubs that take usb A, but end in a usb c plug (so for that, no adapter needed). if you buy a new imac, you'll sort it out...

Thanks for your time Fisherking! not decided on what new computer to get yet, waited over a year for this release, wasnt expecting in to have limited i/o and still have the chin, now without the logo, so it looks like a 3rd party Mac copy! no worries, will wait for the more imac powerful release and decide what to do then, might even go with a new Macbook pro as its meant to come with more i/o, hopefully standard USB, not sure I see the point of a laptop that needs an adaptor! anyways thank you.

1681.52 US dollars without usb ..? ... only 8 gb of ram and only 256 ssd? ... this is a joke, right? .. and there's no way to upgrade anything .. man .. M1 should make iMacs cost less. .noup .. they cost more ... i don't caee about the "desing" or "colors" .. at least 16 of ram.. soldered.. should be the "standart"... 256 gb soldered ?... man... this is 2021.. not 1996.

big mistakes.. what is next?.. 1681.52 US dollars for 128 gb ?... hahaha.. i think apple is going backwards.. not forward

Thanks for your time Fisherking! not decided on what new computer to get yet, waited over a year for this release, wasnt expecting in to have limited i/o and still have the chin, now without the logo, so it looks like a 3rd party Mac copy! no worries, will wait for the more imac powerful release and decide what to do then, might even go with a new Macbook pro as its meant to come with more i/o, hopefully standard USB, not sure I see the point of a laptop that needs an adaptor! anyways thank you.

one thing you will not see again: the usb A port. so no matter what mac you get, you'll be looking at an adapter. but they're cheap, and you can get one with a cable, or just a plug.

am also holding out for the next-gen macbook pros (& also hope we see more ports). but am impressed with the new imac just for what it is, and the chin doesn't bother me...

1681.52 US dollars without usb ..? ... only 8 gb of ram and only 256 ssd? ... this is a joke, right? .. and there's no way to upgrade anything .. man .. M1 should make iMacs cost less. .noup .. they cost more ... i don't caee about the "desing" or "colors" .. at least 16 of ram.. soldered.. should be the "standart"... 256 gb soldered ?... man... this is 2021.. not 1996.

big mistakes.. what is next?.. 1681.52 US dollars for 128 gb ?... hahaha.. i think apple is going backwards.. not forward

there IS usb, what do you mean 'without usb'? and you can bump the ram to 16gb (and ram works somewhat differently, and more productively, with the M1); and you can, as usual with apple, get up to a 2TB SSD.

i don't see how the new imac isn't a jump forward; the M1 chip alone is a big deal; the design, the screen. the camera. the speakers. not sure what you're upset about; even the pricing is consistent with the current intel imacs...

there IS usb, what do you mean 'without usb'? and you can bump the ram to 16gb (and ram works somewhat differently, and more productively, with the M1); and you can, as usual with apple, get up to a 2TB SSD.

i don't see how the new imac isn't a jump forward; the M1 chip alone is a big deal; the design, the screen. the camera. the speakers. not sure what you're upset about; even the pricing is consistent with the current intel imacs...

for the cheapest new M1 imac .. there is only 8 gb of ram and 256 of ssd.. AND I wonder what is going to happen when in Time you write your "RAM" "MEmory" in the SSD.. ssd don't last Forever..when the SSD dies.. all the computer will Die... too.. and that is not so "GREEN" to save the world.. as they say... right?.. ha.

Yes compact design is going forward. Making everything smaller and lighter is forward. No more big clunky boxes with loud fans please. Exchanging parts? That is so backwards. Tinkering with the box and upgrading? No thank you. I rather be productive on the machine I purchased. Millions of ports instead of just ONE adapter that i have to plug in? GODSEND. I love the fact that i take my M1 Air to my desk and plug in ONE cable and everything is connected. That is forward to me. And a beautiful light design which i can not tinker with. And did i mention it is fast and working better than the big clunky box before? Even with less RAM? You don’t want to swap parts in your phone do you? Computers are the same these days. That is forward. Embrace the change. It is good.

for the cheapest new M1 imac .. there is only 8 gb of ram and 256 of ssd.. AND I wonder what is going to happen when in Time you write your "RAM" "MEmory" in the SSD.. ssd don't last Forever..when the SSD dies.. all the computer will Die... too.. and that is not so "GREEN" to save the world.. as they say... right?.. ha.

for someone who doesn't do music, film, or pro photography, that can be enough (for example, on my 2016 12" macbook, i have 8gb ram, and a 256G SSD; i have 165G available on my drive as i type this, and i can run affinity photo, safari, email, etc etc without a hiccup. (i don't run logic or final cut on my macbook).

but really... what are you so mad about? all tech dies (your phone, mac, tv... car, etc) at some point. what does this have to do with anything? plus, as i pointed out, you can bump up the ram and ssd. and pricing is consistent with the last intel imacs... but you get so much more...

for the cheapest new M1 imac .. there is only 8 gb of ram and 256 of ssd.. AND I wonder what is going to happen when in Time you write your "RAM" "MEmory" in the SSD.

But if that's all you need, then it's great as you're not pissing power away as M1 systems are very efficient, plus it's silly easy to hook a large drive to it - external SSD don't cost barely any difference than internals, but they offer much more flexibility across devices, backing up, hot swapping etc.

Personally I find the internal SSD size to be less a factor in Mac Minis and iMacs - it is an issue for Macbooks though, where i don't want a drive hanging off it.

Remember that SSD access times isn't far behind RAM for most applications, hence why the requirement for RAM is nothing like it used to be 10+ years back, and Mac software will develop more and more into using RAM strictly for immediate access - i.e. for many years already large sample libraries only need to hold the start of each sample as the SSD can kick in and play the rest in real-time.

Computing has evolved and we need to re-assess our true requirements. If you have a real world example of why you 'need' more than 8gb, then I get the issue - but that's a very small percentage of people - even across the audio spectrum.

But I do get the concern, as it defies the previous logic whereby you would just put double the required of RAM into a machine "Cause you could".

the problem is simple... with apple new imac... and mini.. NOT upgradable nothing.. and the problem comes with s Cost.. for only 8 gb of ram apple asks you for 276 dollars more 250 gb more of ssd 276 usa dollars.. .. i mean come on.. and apple it is not getting cheaper it's getting more expensive .. any way forget.. it. yeah shure.. apple is always "right". shure.. maybe they think musicians are all RICH people.. that buys imacs every year.. they should make a a line of Apple for Third world countrys... ha.. like mine.. for me.. 256 gb of ssd and only 8 gb it is nothing.. not matter how fast the cpu goes..