Apple Event April 2021: New 24" M1 iMac, Touch ID keyboard, Airtag

the problem is simple... with apple new imac... and mini.. NOT upgradable nothing.. and the problem comes with s Cost.. for only 8 gb of ram apple asks you for 276 dollars more 250 gb more of ssd 276 usa dollars.. .. i mean come on.. and apple it is not getting cheaper it's getting more expensive .. any way forget.. it. yeah shure.. apple is always "right". shure.. maybe they think musicians are all RICH people.. that buys imacs every year.. they should make a a line of Apple for Third world countrys... ha.. like mine.. for me.. 256 gb of ssd and only 8 gb it is nothing.. not matter how fast the cpu goes..

i still don't get your point. macs have always been expensive, that's nothing new. and for someone who only needs 8gb/256g, that's a good deal for them. for those who need more ram/storage space, you can get that; as has been the case for a very-long time now, ram and hard drives are not user-upgradeable, that's nothing new.

meanwhile, you can always use an external drive for additional storage with an imac (or mini) easily, as you're not carrying the mac around. even macbook users can get small external drives if they want.

i don't know what you were expecting; more power, features, but significantly lower prices? hmm.....

the problem is simple... with apple new imac... and mini.. NOT upgradable nothing.. and the problem comes with s Cost.. for only 8 gb of ram apple asks you for 276 dollars more 250 gb more of ssd 276 usa dollars.. .. i mean come on.. and apple it is not getting cheaper it's getting more expensive .. any way forget.. it. yeah shure.. apple is always "right". shure.. maybe they think musicians are all RICH people.. that buys imacs every year.. they should make a a line of Apple for Third world countrys... ha.. like mine.. for me.. 256 gb of ssd and only 8 gb it is nothing.. not matter how fast the cpu goes..

i still don't get your point. macs have always been expensive, that's nothing new. and for someone who only needs 8gb/256g, that's a good deal for them. for those who need more ram/storage space, you can get that; as has been the case for a very-long time now, ram and hard drives are not user-upgradeable, that's nothing new.

meanwhile, you can always use an external drive for additional storage with an imac (or mini) easily, as you're not carrying the mac around. even macbook users can get small external drives if they want.

i don't know what you were expecting; more power, features, but significantly lower prices? hmm.....

In 2009 i payed $2300 with taxes for my MBP with 4gb ram and 256GB HD. I just purchased an M1 MB Air for $2100 (CAD) 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. I am talking about 12 years later! Meanwhile the size of an mp3 or a WAV file did not get bigger. The new machine is blazing fast and very light compared to my old machine. Apple is not always right but got this right for sure. Great deal for musicians.

Toral cost for me for the basic Mini Logic setup.

€743 Mini;

€119 Applecare;

€320 4k monitor;

€160 for a 1 TB external SSD.

If you have a monitor and the other peripherals, that's pretty cheap for a smoking machine. I have to say, the more I look at the new iMacs, the more I'm convinced I might get by with this (though it's my wife's).

yes maybe i'm wrong .. who knows.. i think i will buy the new mac mini m1 with 16 of ram and use a external ssd..

when i get it then i can speak about it maybe.. yes the new M1 processor are amazing.. i'm worried about the ram only , don't get me wrong.. apple is amazing i love it.. nothing like logic pro and the mac system

yes maybe i'm wrong .. who knows.. i think i will buy the new mac mini m1 with 16 of ram and use a external ssd..

when i get it then i can speak about it maybe.. yes the new M1 processor are amazing.. i'm worried about the ram only , don't get me wrong.. apple is amazing i love it.. nothing like logic pro and the mac system

david uses logic on his intel air with 4gb ram. i use logic & final cut on my intel imac with 16gb ram... and have never had any memory issues. and with the M1's management of ram, 16gb should be better.

unless someone wants the new imac specifically for what it is (a self-contained M1 mac), the mini seems a great choice for a desktop setup...

david uses logic on his intel air with 4gb ram. i use logic & final cut on my intel imac with 16gb ram... and have never had any memory issues. and with the M1's management of ram, 16gb should be better.

unless someone wants the new imac specifically for what it is (a self-contained M1 mac), the mini seems a great choice for a desktop setup...

I am also considering the mac mini, but I heard you can only use ONE display screen? I may be wrong?

Most likely one I am leaning towards is the present Macbook pro 16", with 32gb RAM. I really wish I could add more RAM to my Macbook Pro, for me its almost perfect 2015 15" 2.8 i7, 16gb RAM with 2 TB ports and 2 USB standard ports AND HDMI AND an SD card slot. OMG was this last of the great Laptops!?

I presumed it was just a more hyperbolic way of saying "These are entry level machines, and they do not interest me".

i'd like to hear from xgman, and not assume anything. i mean, the M1 (in the macbook air, pro, mini, or imac) is still an impressive processor, and should kick the ass of my 2019 i7 (which, again, handles everything i throw at it).

'toy on a stick'? not seeing the similarity....1829104130_ScreenShot2021-04-23at2_52_48PM.png.68278588b382125992995e28e600b964.png660654378_ScreenShot2021-04-23at2_51_39PM.png.7a2dd998439de86b9abb1f97227d4b04.png

I presumed it was just a more hyperbolic way of saying "These are entry level machines, and they do not interest me".

i'd like to hear from xgman, and not assume anything. i mean, the M1 (in the macbook air, pro, mini, or imac) is still an impressive processor, and should kick the ass of my 2019 i7 (which, again, handles everything i throw at it).

'toy on a stick'? not seeing the similarity....Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.52.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.51.39 PM.png

Yeah. Too many people just play down everything these days. Nothing is good enough. I can’t write a hit song because the synthesizers i need haven’t been invented yet. :)

Film scores and other demanding stuff are happening already too on existing machines.

Waiting for the latest and greatest always just kills creativity. Doesn’t matter what you get there’s a new kid on the block next year. ;)

They are good machines to be sure - maybe even *great* ones, but they *are* the entry-level models, and thus are RAM constrained, I/O constrained, and physically constrained (screen sizes etc). This is how Apple are rolling in this transition, they are working from the bottom of the range up.

I am indeed waiting for the MBP 16" replacement, which should have at least 4 more performance cores, larger RAM and SSD options, more I/O and a bigger screen (13" is just too small for me) - all of which are important features for me...

But yes, the wait is *painful*, as my current old machine is running on fumes (generated by it's own heat, probably...)

They are good machines to be sure - maybe even *great* ones, but they *are* the entry-level models, and thus are RAM constrained, I/O constrained, and physically constrained (screen sizes etc). This is how Apple are rolling in this transition, they are working from the bottom of the range up.

I am indeed waiting for the MBP 16" replacement, which should have at least 4 more performance cores, larger RAM and SSD options, more I/O and a bigger screen (13" is just too small for me) - all of which are important features for me...

But yes, the wait is *painful*, as my current old machine is running on fumes (generated by it's own heat, probably...)

the imac? larger screen (than the current 21", which i have). and 16gb ram is different on the M1 than it is on an intel mac (you can google this); i have 16gb on my imac, and never had an issue (with logic of final cut).

the ports... i always want more ports, but... hubs. anyway, i think it's pretty impressive, all things considered (but am still holding out for the next M1 gen, in a 14" pro, with hopefully... more ports).

we'll see what happens next, but if i were in need of a new mac now, i'd be pretty happy with any of the current M1 models.

the imac?

For me the MBP, but yes, all the M1's are the low end of their respective product categories. The new iMacs are the replacements for the 21 lower end models. We are still waiting for the better ones to replace the 27s, which will likely use a better chip that supports more RAM and I/O.

16gb ram is different on the M1 than it is on an intel mac (you can google this);

*sigh* Let's not do this again. ;)

No, it's not really different, and yes I'm aware of all the discussion and no I don't find it compelling, sorry ;)

If you have a 10GB Photoshop file, it can fit into memory on one machine, and can't on another. Yes, efficient processing and SSD swapping make swapping far less painful that it used to be, by *any* swapping is still much slower than having stuff in RAM, especially when on the M1 RAM seems to be rather fast too. So good to take advantage of it. I still consider 8GB too small for anyone using a Mac for demanding purposes, due to tests I did some time back.

i have 16gb on my imac, and never had an issue (with logic of final cut).

Me too. 16GB is ok for me (8GB is not though). Was simply saying the current machines are low end, the higher end machines will have more options, which people can take advantage of accordingly.

we'll see what happens next, but if i were in need of a new mac now, i'd be pretty happy with any of the current M1 models.

Like I said above, for me it's the MBP that's important and is what I'm waiting for. I don't want a 13" screen on my daily driver laptop. I'm waiting for the new machines to arrive and will then make a purchase decision, I could go a few different ways, we'll see...

Wait till the "pros" come out, and they're gonna be too expensive or won't have this or that and yadi yadi yada.

We are in the "complaining and whining" era. Nothing is good enough.

so true (about the era we're in). ppl expect new new apple tech to match the mockups ppl post online, or the endless rumors; reality is never good enough. meanwhile, the rest of us just do our work (& play).

I'm excited to see what the M1 processor can do. My concern is that all my software and plugins won't work. It's been 9 months since Big Sur was released and even Roland doesn't have drivers out for everything yet. How long will it take to get M1 support?

Think again....how the hell would that work?? Ipad is a very crippled computer.

The major thing I don't like about them at the moment is their cost in the EU. €1499 for the basic iMac. Uh uh. The better model? €1699! Without RAM or SSD upgrades. Given these choices, I'd just get the Mini, but there again, I'd want 16gb, and I'd pay not only the premium for that, but also €100 more than if I were to buy through Amazon. Hopefully, my wife's Mini will be what I need.

Aesthetically, I don't like white bezels.

The *start* price for the Macbook Pro 16 in the UK is £2400 - two and a half grand! The prices went up with the Touchbar MBPs, before that the start price for the MBP was more like £1800 - still a hell of a lot, of course, but rather better.

I'd like to think that the incoming new ones - presumably without touchbar as per the rumours - will have prices reduced back to pre-touchbar MBP 16 levels, but Apple love to hang on to their margins, and you've got to figure the M1 gives them extra margins over paying for Intel chips. Plus, so far, as is the usual Apple way, most of the M1-replacement machines have come in at basically the same prices as their Intel predecessor models, so I don't hold out much hope. Once the prices go up, they don't like them to come back down again...

Then again, my Powerbook G4 15", my first Mac/laptop, was around 2 grand back in the mid 00s, so it's pretty much par for the course. At least these days, the current entry level M1 machines are also *phenomenal*, and thus make a viable alternative to get a great computer without spending that much outlay... I'm just waiting for the M1X's etc before deciding which way to go, always assuming my current computer hangs on in there..!

Still, it at least seems exciting days for the Mac user, it seems the last 15 years or so it's been all phones, tablets, watches etc, so I always like some Mac attention!

The major thing I don't like about them at the moment is their cost in the EU. €1499 for the basic iMac. Uh uh. The better model? €1699! Without RAM or SSD upgrades. Given these choices, I'd just get the Mini, but there again, I'd want 16gb, and I'd pay not only the premium for that, but also €100 more than if I were to buy through Amazon. Hopefully, my wife's Mini will be what I need.

Aesthetically, I don't like white bezels.

Prices are €1,449 and €1,669 respectively here in France. Not sure what the price jump will be for 16GB RAM exactly? But yeah I'm not a fan of the colors and white bezels either> I like the form factor and even the 24" screen but would rather a more "pro" look to the machine, Waiting to see what's next. :D

If I ever dived into one of these new iMac's, I think it would be under the acceptance that I am no longer a 'power' user - that doesn't in any way discredit what I do. But in M1 world I sincerely feel that - despite previously owning Mac Pro's historically - The current M1 iMac's would deliver all that I need.

Based on the most recent top line products, The new 'pro' line is going to be 2-3x the price, surely?

It's become very evident that both in regards of finance and requirements, I'm far more in the ballpark of these M1 machines than the New/2018 Mac Pro, or the iMac Pro's.