M-Audio Hammer Pro 88 and MOTU 828 Audio Interface

SimooL

Hello and thank you for trying to help me solve this issue.

Two issues to tackle:

I just bought the M audio hammer Pro 88 and I want to use that as a controller in my DAW which is Logic. It is powered by USB but I am also running the MIDI OUT to a MIDI interface. I also have other external synthesizers routed to this MIDI interface and have had zero problems with triggering MIDI or getting any of the keyboards to talk to each other so no issue there.

M audio has a link to set up your “hammer pro” in logic.

I went step by step to achieve this and have had no luck.

I want to be able to start, stop, record, etc from the M audio controller. Apparently there are so many cool parameters embedded in a controller where you can work strictly from there without having to click around on your mouse I want to be able to do that.

I have gone to Preferences>Controllers and have set up the M audio to act as a controller and again have done all of this ...

https://inmusicbrands.force.com/headrush/s/article/M-Audio-Hammer-88-Pro-Series-Setup-in-Logic

The hammer pro has an option from the keyboard to dial in what DAW you are using and I have that set to logic as well.

My next issue is the MOTU 828k audio interface. I have a keyboard routed from it’s audio outputs (L MONO-R) into channels one and two on the audio interface. The Cue Mix window shows that there is signal coming in on tracks 1 &2.

If you select an External Instrument in Logic and Assign its MIDI port and the input (1&2) there is no signal coming in on that fader in logic. But if you select input 3&4 you will see the meter read the signal.

So I unplugged the channels 1&2 from Audio Interface and into Ch: 3&4. I assigned the inputs to 3&4 on the External instrument, no signal. so I clicked the inputs to 5&6 ...and of course there’s now signal as demonstrated in the 1-2 switch to 3-4 excerpt listed above.

Put simply, you can plug the keyboard into 11-12 and set the external instrument input to 13-14 and there will be signal, it keeps jumping two channels up.

I have figured out a way to “live with it” and having stumbled on this link makes me feel like others are having this issue with this device.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44095

if you made it this far thank you for reading and attempting to help solve this issue.

I hope someone out there can help me achieve this thank you.

Gacki,

That could be possible but I don’t think it is.

The back of the MOTU has “main outs” and that’s where the monitors are plugged into.

The front of the MOTU has two inputs with phantom power and pad. Those are considered Mic/Line Ch:1&2

I have plugged a mic in there many times to record Vocals and didn’t run into any issue.

Gacki,

That could be possible but I don’t think it is.

The back of the MOTU has “main outs” and that’s where the monitors are plugged into.

The front of the MOTU has two inputs with phantom power and pad. Those are considered Mic/Line Ch:1&2

I have plugged a mic in there many times to record Vocals and didn’t run into any issue.

The monitors have nothing to do with this (that's another can of worms with the 828).

I'm assuming at the moment you have plugged the synth into Line inputs 1 and 2 on the MotU which are also on the back (since those are Line signals). Those would show up as Inputs 3-4 in Logic.

My misunderstanding. When you said “xlr” my brain immediately thought of the monitors since they are plugged via XLR in the back of MOTU.

Like I said, I found another article in regards to this issue where others experienced something similar.

Do you have any suggestions to this? and any feedback on the MIDI controller?

My misunderstanding. When you said “xlr” my brain immediately thought of the monitors since they are plugged via XLR in the back of MOTU.

Like I said, I found another article in regards to this issue where others experienced something similar.

Do you have any suggestions to this?

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44095 says exactly the same as I did...

You can create individual labels for the inputs in Logic so the difference between the front inputs and the back inputs becomes more clear.