Choose sine wave hertz

zurdyo

Hi all,

I'd like to do some tests with Binaural Beats and am looking for a way to produce sine waves at varying hertz. So, for example, I'd like to be able to create a 1 Hz sine wave and a 4Hz sine wave to then pan them hard R and L. Reading some old posts, I saw David suggesting loading EXS24 (which I don't see anymore in LPX) without any instrument and that should produce a pure sine wave. So my questions are:

1. What can I use to generate a pure sine wave in today's version of LPX?

2. How can I precisely set the Hz of this sine wave without having to work with pitch shift and cents?

Thanks!

Z

1Hz is way below human hearing, and also way below most audio gear's frequency range. In case it still reaches the loudspeaker, the speaker has effectively no load by the easily moving air and can be easily destroyed. The idea of binaural beats is to use two nearby frequencies in the hearing range, say 300 Hz and 301 Hz.

EXS24 is replaced by Sampler, but neither has the ability to adjust frequencies in Hz. Use the Test Oscillator plugin for that.

Hey Christian, David,

Thanks for that, yeah, I was reading up on the topic and found statements such as "Binaural beats in the delta (1 to 4 Hz) range have been associated with deep sleep and relaxation" to be pretty confusing, and now I realize it's 1 to 4 Hz range, not frequency. Thanks for helping me understand that.

Regarding the Test Oscillator, thanks for that too. I guess I should output the track with the oscillator to, say, Bus 1, then create a new audio track that has Bus 1 as input in order to be able to record it.

Thanks for that, yeah, I was reading up on the topic and found statements such as "Binaural beats in the delta (1 to 4 Hz) range have been associated with deep sleep and relaxation" to be pretty confusing,

Not for nothing, but they're also highly suspect claims, because the physics of the statements just don't make sense.

and now I realize it's 1 to 4 Hz range, not frequency.

Also not for nothing, but I'm confused about what you're saying here. A Hertz is a measurement of frequency, so those are the same thing.

Not for nothing, but they're also highly suspect claims, because the physics of the statements just don't make sense.

There isn't much scientific research on this topic, but the little there is, looks encouraging: https://associationofanaesthetists-publications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2005.04287.x

It's a 1 to 4 Hz beating from what I understand. Meaning the beating between 400 and 401 to 404 Hz for example.

Yup, that's it!