Logic Pro Help - Sending Midi to External Synths and Recording

Kevin247

Hello,

I am absolutely sure this has already been asked and answered on here before, but I am not sure of the correct search terms to find it. So I apologize in advance.

I am trying to use Logic as a sequencer to send midi to my external analog synths, and then record the sound out of the synths back into logic. Can anyone provide me with a rundown of what I would need to do in Logic to set this up?

I'm fairly certain I need to run the Midi Out from the Quad to the synth. Then the Audio out of the synth back into the Quad. However, I don't know how to set the tracks and external synth stuff up correctly in Logic.192.168.8.1 192.168.100.1 192.168.0.1

Here is what I am using:

Logic Pro X

M-Audio Quad Audio Device

Various synths, but only using one at a time for this process. They all have midi in.

I have seen some tutorial on doing this, but they seem to use the little M-Audio USB to Midi cables and not something like the M-Audio Quad.

Thank you!

Edited by Kevin247

Connect the MIDI Out from your synth to the MIDI In on your Quad, and the MIDI Out from the Quad to the MIDI In on your synth. OR if your synth has a USB-MIDI connection, then a single USB cable from the synth directly to the Mac will handle the MIDI data both ways.

Now connect the audio outputs of your synth to a pair of audio inputs on the Quad.

In Logic, create a software instrument track with the External Instrument plug--in, and choose the MIDI and Audio ports where you've connected your synth. You should now be able to record MIDI onto that track ad have it trigger the synth upon playback, routing the audio back to Logic's mixer.