MIDI Region behavior in LPX

Pelc
Go to solution Solved by johnnytucats,

I just updated from LP9 (I know I know) and while I absolutely love most of the changes/additions/improvements there is one change I cannot fathom for the life of me. It's to do with notes that start just before the region border. So you have a kick that starts 5 ticks early. In L9 this was no problem. You could see the note in the region and it would play back and if you looped the region it would play back in the loop.

In LPX 10.6.1 the notes disappear if you move them earlier than the region border and they don't play back. And If you loop the region they don't show up in the loop either. WTF? How long has it been like this? Is it a bug? Is it intentional? Is there something in the preferences I'm missing here? It's the stupidest behavior. Very aggravating. Please tell me they're going to fix this!

I want to have notes that are slightly earlier than the region border play back as normal. As it stands they don't even when visible: I can make them visible by cutting the region at the start of the bar and selecting "Keep" for notes that cross the split point. However even though now visible they still do not sound.

1659981602_LPXnotesnotplayingevenwhenforcedtobevisible.gif.7e8c760b1f22a589aa4bc3c75ea1e462.gif

As for notes disappearing being "normal", this was never the functionality in any version of Logic I used prior to LPX. I've been on the program since Emagic and never seen anything like this behavior before either with notes disappearing or notes earlier than region border not playing back.

Edited by Pelc

As for notes disappearing being "normal", this was never the functionality in any version of Logic I used prior to LPX. I've been on the program since Emagic and never seen anything like this behavior before either with notes disappearing or notes earlier than region border not playing back.

You're right to put quotes around the word normal, as what one person considers normal is another person's bug. I'm sure it's obvious to most users that if you have a 2 bar MIDI region with some notes in the first bar and some notes in the second bar, and you drag the left edge of the region to hide the first bar, you no longer want the notes in the 1st bar to play back. And it certainly makes the behavior consistent with audio regions.

So then it's a question of how far back you want the notes that are earlier than the region start to play back. Here again, different users with different workflows will have different expectations of a "normal" behavior.

As it stands I cannot loop regions with early notes. They just don't play at all. So I effectively can't easily arrange regions in the timeline or easily loop things. I just wasn't sure if this bizarre behavior was intentional or not since I only just came from L9 and a lot can change in a decade so I didn't know if I was missing something like a preference or some paramete! Oy! So you are confirming that what I'm experiencing is not intended behavior. Is this problem already on your bug list here? You seem to not have heard of it before.

I have attached zip file of project here. It's one region on one track with one note looped. The note is one tick early and will not play! If I move it a tick later (to the one of the measure), it plays.

MIDI Test.zip

What you're experiencing is the expected behavior in 10.6.1 (I mean, some may call it a bug, others a feature, but it's the behavior everyone is getting). The issue is not the goal, but the workflow, which is why I was asking why you want to use that workflow.

Here's a project created by moving the note before the region start:

MIDI Test 2.logicx.zip

• Solution

It is odd and I'm glad this post came up because this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts.

It seems if you create region then add a note and drag the note start before the region (but not too early) it will play, loops and all.

However, if you move the left edge of the region at all the early note will not play.

Knowing this is good…but it would be nice if there was some sort of indicator to denote the difference as you can have two tracks that look identical in every way (as far as I can tell) that don't behave the same.

Knowing this is good…but it would be nice if there was some sort of indicator to denote the difference as you can have two tracks that look identical in every way (as far as I can tell) that don't behave the same.

Indeed,

Oh and a little more experimenting shows that this is definitely a bug as if you move the note left it plays, now if you resize the left edge of the region to the left but still after the note start, the note no longer plays.