Tuning Software Instrument when not directly editable

kingminotaur

This confused me for about an hour of my life so I am volunteering to prevent anyone else having same problem.

PROBLEM: Adding SW instrument to Project started with out-of-tune guitar ( about 27 cents flat). Project is too complete to re-record, tuning polyphonically makes guitar sound unnatural. ( The Steinway here provides wonderful dramatic bass tones.)

Thus need to adjust tuning of Logic SW instrument to project tuning.

SPECIFIC CASE: Software instrument chosen is not directly editable, for me it was "Grand Piano and Strings". So I can't directly edit tuning from there.1749818873_ScreenShot2021-04-24at10_16_50PM.thumb.png.7e7470f2a6e4ca3151883ad994fccf3d.png The label shows up in the spot at top of channel strip, but clicking on the name "Grand Piano and Strings " does not open the sampler to tune within it -- because it's a "stacked" instrument ( IDK right label) composed of TWO sampler instruments-- the piano and the strings.

SOLUTION: Eventually after floundering a while I realized that the selection of a "stacked" instrument creates N tracks in the main window, where N=number of instruments in the "stack."1893416035_ScreenShot2021-04-24at10_18_08PM.thumb.png.bd7d6b185aefd0742f3aab1c6e79ba87.png Selecting one of the individual TRACKs of the "stack" yields an individual channel with a sample instrument, which is accessible and can be tuned It seems in my case it automatically tuned the other member of the "stack" but I can't attest to reliability of that.

556662798_ScreenShot2021-04-25at6_08_57AM.thumb.png.06a25a08e8ba0bb9e890fe6b9ac18ab0.png

It seems in my case it automatically tuned the other member of the "stack" but I can't attest to reliability of that.

No, that's not the case. Changing the value of one of the parameter of the Sampler instrument on one subtrack of the stack does not affect the values of the Sampler instrument plug-ins on the other subtracks of the same stack. You have to change them all to the same value, one by one.

However if that is the only software instrument used in your entire song, or if you want to tune all your software instruments in this project at once, you could tune it using File > Project Settings > Tuning.

1715996282_ProjectTuning.png.352367207487258a142abda997815838.png