Info Resources Needed for a Live Midi Recording Studio

neworleanz81

Back in the days, i used to have an analog studio with a tape deck that was always ready to go. We recorded jam sessions at the touch of a button and remixed them later. I would love to be able to do this with my logic studio. I have a Roland TD-50 Drum set with Superior Drummer and Multiple Midi keyboards that i want to record Midi to at the same time. I will have analog as well. (Vocals, Mics and guitars, and the real sounds coming from the keyboards) I really just want to hit record and capture the sessions. We may use headphones or not. Does somebody have a good way to simplify this? I don't want to have to change settings everytime I turn on the system. I would even pay someone to come to New Orleans and set this up for me, but resources online would also be helpful. This is my dream studio, but I am not the most computer nerdy person to focus on the technical side. I want to focus on the jams.

Thanks JAmes Fournet

New Orleans LA

504 717 - 6805

Just set up your template the way you like it, with one track for each source. Use this for your MIDI tracks: https://www.logicprohelp.com/instruments-tracks-midi-channels/

Group all the tracks so that when you R-enable one they all are R-enabled.

You can even go as far as going to Logic Pro > Preferences > General :: Project Handling and set your Startup Action to Create New Project Using Default Template.

Thank You, David. I will keep you updated on any problems I run into. It seems like in the past, I kept losing the sound settings in Midi environments for my keyboards. I had one set to piano, another to b3 and another to strings. Seems like i always had to reset this. I am running them through a 4 channel Mio USB/ Midi Box. Do you recommend a certain mixing board also for independently routing the analog instruments? I am about to make some pruchases. I was thinking about the soundcrafter 22MTX as it routes USB independently per channel.

Were those software instrument channel strips? I'm confused by you mentioning the MIDI Environment, you shouldn't have to access the MIDI Environment window for this?

If you save your project, all patches (plug-ins and their settings) should be set in stone and saved along with the project so that when you reopen it, you get the same sounds. If that's not the case then is it possible that you've had multiple Logic projects opened simultaneously? That's not recommended as it does create issues such as ending up with the wrong instruments/settings.

You shouldn't need a mixer at all if you can route all your instruments to Logic, and use Logic's mixer. So just make sure you have an audio interface with enough audio inputs to accommodate all your instruments.