A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4506
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 8:42 am

hans zimmer uses Cubase and cubase doesn't have that feature.

as i said, if you feel like that is A MUST look into Digital Performer and "Chunks"
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
AllTheButtons
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 am

Ploki wrote:
hans zimmer uses Cubase and cubase doesn't have that feature.


Hans also has an army of people to do the boring stuff, to be fair :P
Logic 10.16, OS 10.15, Mac Mini 2018 i3, 32GB
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 am

NOne of the daws do what is currently being asked, including DP. Dp provides chunks which is very cool and I may switch back to DP someday just because if that feature If they ever add articulation management. But that just gives you the ability to have all your cues in one project file and sharing the same vrack. It doesn’t dynamically keep your hit points on the grid. Nothing does. I agree though for film score composers it would be a terrific feature. I also doubt they would add it, I don’t particularly think it would be that hard, it’s just very few people actually would use it.

Dp also has a hit point calculator you can use to give you suggested tempos over a time period thst will come close to hitting 2 or more hit points.

And it also can generate punches and streamers.

It definitely has the best film scoring tools of any daw minus articulation management. But it does not do as the op asked and hopes for.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
twistiejoe
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am

Ploki wrote:
hans zimmer uses Cubase and cubase doesn't have that feature.

as i said, if you feel like that is A MUST look into Digital Performer and "Chunks"


No can do. Everyone I work with uses logic. It’s logic or nothing, unless I stop working with my colleagues but that would mean not eating lol.
iMac
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
OSX 10.8.5

Logic X, 10.0.7
Running East West and other samples in PLAY and Kontakt via G-RAID-0 Drive, Esata to Thunderbolt.
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 12:03 pm

twistie, none of the other DAW's do what you are wishing for anyway, don't worry about it. What you're asking for is a good idea, I agree with you; but its just that not many people would need it or use it and they have other ways to spend their time in development with bigger returns; not to mention that software devs often do not entirely understand the nuances of what musicians are doing...particularly a specialized area such as this, they understand it enough to get it 75% right... So there is just a gap there...and I don't expect it to ever be filled...on that I agree with David..I don't particularly think the whole guts of LogicPro would have to change for this. (it might in order to support a chunks type of feature, but that is a seperate topic).

This discussion has motivated me to make some notes about what *I* would do if I were going to make a tool for tempo mapping..and I might try to whip some kind of script together or something that won't be as nice as it would be built into LogicPro...but at least might handle the tempo mapping. But the problem is that in order to go back and fix an existing LogicPro project that already has music..and adapt it for a new tempo map because the film director is feeling creative about edits...that's the part where it gets really difficult...as you know..and where it would be SOOO helpful if LogicPro could help make that process easier. I personally love the idea of "snapping" certain markers to grid lines...where the tempos (and meters) will be adjusted to make the snap happen. I personally would find that useful, but I also think most non-film-score. musicians would have no use for it whatsoever...so... I just doubt it will happen.

Also...truthfully...Any type you get some edits like that...and you have to move some smpte markers around...there are always going to be different ways you could approach remapping the tempo map...there will be half a dozen decent tempo choices that could be applied....different meter choices, you may go back and change the meter earlier to one consistent meter instead of just inserting one bar of 5/4 for example. There are creative choices that most likely a film composer will still need to make. So LogicPro would need to have a clean and elegant way to present some of those choices and give you the opportunity to choose or specify...it would probably be more involved then simply answer "yes" to "do you want a bar of 5/4 inserted".

But... I also think LogicPro, or any other DAW, could be at least aware of that creative process and provide tools that make it more brainless and easier to zip through that process....using your creativity to decide...rather then having to go manually insert meter changes and tempo changes until you visually see the markers line up with the grid through trial error. That is what we have to do now and its very time consuming I agree. There is a solution out there, but I just don't think any of the DAW's are going to add it.

Probably a more reasonable expectation would be to ask Apple to provide a cleaner way to import tempo maps to an existing project...overwriting the old tempo map without overwriting any midi and while not having to start a new project to do it. Then you could use other tools to rework the tempo map and just slide the tempo map into LogicPro on top of existing music...and then adjust your music as needed to the new tempo map.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4506
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm

AllTheButtons wrote:
Ploki wrote:
hans zimmer uses Cubase and cubase doesn't have that feature.


Hans also has an army of people to do the boring stuff, to be fair :P


just saying that if cubase didn't do it for zimmer, likely Apple won't for the average joe.
I request this exact functionality via feedback ever since Digital Performer got Chunks in 2013, so i'm not holding my breath.

Dewdman42 wrote:
twistie, none of the other DAW's do what you are wishing for anyway, don't worry about it.


except digital performer
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 12:53 pm

Digital Performer doesn't do that. Sorry. I have listed off already what DP can do.

ps - if it does do that and I need to know how, please share your info.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
twistiejoe
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:
twistie, none of the other DAW's do what you are wishing for anyway, don't worry about it. What you're asking for is a good idea, I agree with you; but its just that not many people would need it or use it and they have other ways to spend their time in development with bigger returns; not to mention that software devs often do not entirely understand the nuances of what musicians are doing...particularly a specialized area such as this, they understand it enough to get it 75% right... So there is just a gap there...and I don't expect it to ever be filled...on that I agree with David..I don't particularly think the whole guts of LogicPro would have to change for this. (it might in order to support a chunks type of feature, but that is a seperate topic).

This discussion has motivated me to make some notes about what *I* would do if I were going to make a tool for tempo mapping..and I might try to whip some kind of script together or something that won't be as nice as it would be built into LogicPro...but at least might handle the tempo mapping. But the problem is that in order to go back and fix an existing LogicPro project that already has music..and adapt it for a new tempo map because the film director is feeling creative about edits...that's the part where it gets really difficult...as you know..and where it would be SOOO helpful if LogicPro could help make that process easier. I personally love the idea of "snapping" certain markers to grid lines...where the tempos (and meters) will be adjusted to make the snap happen. I personally would find that useful, but I also think most non-film-score. musicians would have no use for it whatsoever...so... I just doubt it will happen.

Also...truthfully...Any type you get some edits like that...and you have to move some smpte markers around...there are always going to be different ways you could approach remapping the tempo map...there will be half a dozen decent tempo choices that could be applied....different meter choices, you may go back and change the meter earlier to one consistent meter instead of just inserting one bar of 5/4 for example. There are creative choices that most likely a film composer will still need to make. So LogicPro would need to have a clean and elegant way to present some of those choices and give you the opportunity to choose or specify...it would probably be more involved then simply answer "yes" to "do you want a bar of 5/4 inserted".

But... I also think LogicPro, or any other DAW, could be at least aware of that creative process and provide tools that make it more brainless and easier to zip through that process....using your creativity to decide...rather then having to go manually insert meter changes and tempo changes until you visually see the markers line up with the grid through trial error. That is what we have to do now and its very time consuming I agree. There is a solution out there, but I just don't think any of the DAW's are going to add it.

Probably a more reasonable expectation would be to ask Apple to provide a cleaner way to import tempo maps to an existing project...overwriting the old tempo map without overwriting any midi and while not having to start a new project to do it. Then you could use other tools to rework the tempo map and just slide the tempo map into LogicPro on top of existing music...and then adjust your music as needed to the new tempo map.


Thanks. All true. I do actually quite like that logic offers two tempo maps. I’ve worked out all sorts of creative ways to deal with tempo but it is hours of frustration most of the time for me unfortunately. The biggest headache is producers asking for something different and/or picture changing, which might mean writing something completely different in tempo early in the session, putting everything after it off grid if you’re not careful. This happens a lot for me.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions. I didn’t actually realise other DAWs didn’t offer this either.
iMac
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
OSX 10.8.5

Logic X, 10.0.7
Running East West and other samples in PLAY and Kontakt via G-RAID-0 Drive, Esata to Thunderbolt.
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm

To dig a little deeper into it.. to really work out well from a film composer's point of view, it would need to be able to allow hit points to also be within a certain tolerance level of exactly on the grid. There is actually a frame or two in front and a frame or three after a hit point that are totally acceptably close enough for the musical beat line to line up with the hit point. Different people and perhaps different projects, would have a different point of view about that tolerance. Meanwhile, at 960 PPQN, 120BPM, there are approximately 64 midi ticks per frame (@30frames/sec). So you have a slop range of 100 or maybe even more midi ticks that could still line up with a smpte locked hit point and be "good enough". That provides a lot of wiggle room to use slightly different tempos and to wiggle through a section with fairly stable tempo and hitting several hit points good enough., etc..

So again..this comes down to film composer decision...not to say that some trick software couldn't streamline that process...I think it could be done, but there is not a big market for it.

Whether or not this is destined to be performed by actual musicians to a click track also matters a lot. if you are doing it strictly electronically, you can do all sorts of subtle tempo changes that creep in and out and make up a lot of ground from changed edits, etc..subtle enough that the listener won't hear the tempo change, but over time, enough to make the hits line up...but with real players, the click track has to be reasonably easy to follow..and there are certain things you should and should not do if that matters... Again...film composer decision.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4506
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 10:57 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:
Digital Performer doesn't do that. Sorry. I have listed off already what DP can do.

ps - if it does do that and I need to know how, please share your info.

https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... -Mind.html

chunk is a "sub project" part of project (think of it as folder in logic - the older folder, not the new summing/folder stacks) and you can set a SMPTE start point of a chunk with it's own tempo, and you can move other chunks around without affecting the tempo or the smpte start point of the chunk before and after.

also i agree re: wiggle room.

also, i stopped doing complex films in a single project. I fan them out to separate projects when practical, it's faster to work with audio tracks in a master project to re-spot them.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 pm

Yea I agree dp chunks are really cool! But I still don’t think they solve what the op has been specifically asking about. Do you have more specific info about a workflow that would accomplish that?
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Thu May 06, 2021 11:59 pm

One comment from Danny Elfman about chunks made me realize a cool purpose he uses them to stash lots of little ideas as he is exploring ideas for a film, each chunk is self contained sequence and he may build up dozens of ideas as he is working on it, all in one project file, before he starts assembling ideas into more concrete stuff. Chunks are just awesome for that. You can kind of do that with Logic Pro in regions and old style folders but dp chunks are all nice clean self contained sequences starting at 1:1 with their own set of tracks, really just a lot easier for that kind of thing.

I tend to agree with you about keeping each end result cue in a separate project anyway.

But back to the topic of when one particular cue has edits that force a composer to have to rework temp and meter map; how can dp make that easier?
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4506
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Fri May 07, 2021 1:20 am

when you rework ONE cue, not everything else after that particular cue falls apart :)
in logic, you need to re-edit all the "in between" tempos everytime you make a miniscule change to a single cue
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Fri May 07, 2021 1:36 am

You’re talking about two separate cues that are not musically related. The op is asking about edits within a single musical cue.

Also according to ABB’s article, when you layout chunks into a “song” the meters are in each chunk but the tempo is at the song level. I fail to see a workflow that solves the op’s request.

The only thing a chunk can do is have its start time locked to a smpte frame so at least that starting point will be bar beat 1:1 and locked to smpte but everything after will need to ne adjusted again and if the director brings edits in the middle of a musical cue then tempos may have to adjusted before and after the edit to make it all work. Chunks don’t handle any of that which is what he was asking about.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
twistiejoe
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Fri May 07, 2021 1:55 am

Dewdman42 wrote:
You’re talking about two separate cues that are not musically related. The op is asking about edits within a single musical cue.

Also according to ABB’s article, when you layout chunks into a “song” the meters are in each chunk but the tempo is at the song level. I fail to see a workflow that solves the op’s request.

The only thing a chunk can do is have its start time locked to a smpte frame so at least that starting point will be bar beat 1:1 and locked to smpte but everything after will need to ne adjusted again and if the director brings edits in the middle of a musical cue then tempos may have to adjusted before and after the edit to make it all work. Chunks don’t handle any of that which is what he was asking about.


No, I actually mean separate music cues in one project. See, I worn on episodes of animated tv that go for 7-10 minutes so it doesn’t make sense to have all sorts of separate files. I really how I keep getting off click all the time when I have to make lots of edits and changes. Would just be so much easier if I could lock a tempo change to SMPTE and it would just automatically make the previous beat some random tempo in order to ensure that it stays on click.
It really helps for playback to producers to be that flexible and have it all in one project, also helps for doing stems, only have to make stems from the one project importing from several would be a nightmare.
And often there’s not much space from one cue to the next. The music changes a lot throughout.
iMac
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
OSX 10.8.5

Logic X, 10.0.7
Running East West and other samples in PLAY and Kontakt via G-RAID-0 Drive, Esata to Thunderbolt.
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 am

Well then chunks in dp are perfect for you but I misunderstood you earlier. but why do you need to have multi cues in one logicpro file? I reccomend like others that you just put each cue in its own project file.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Fri May 07, 2021 8:38 am

I think if you are trying to make multiple cues follow one continuous tempo track that is not multiple cues. That is one long cue with sections at different tempo. Because of the continuous tempo that is one single musical “thing”, call it a cue or don’t but the same problem exists as if it were one cue.

I think with or without dp you are going to run into challenges when the film comes back with edits in the middle of a single tempo track.

Again i reccomend you break things up into separate projects in logicpro, as cues, whenever there is a break that is long enough or sometimes even if there is no break at all. But still that will not provide any help to the challenge of video edits in the middle of a tempo map. Breaking it into separate cues only helps a little bit insomuch that each cue starts at barbeat 1:1 with its own tempo map. You can lock that position. If video edits come at those transitions or in between cues then it should be pretty easy to adjust. The video post editor can do it! If a video edit comes in the middle of any tempo map then it’s a challenge for you. It will be in dp also, dp just let’s you put all the cues in one file but each cue ( or chunk ) still has to follow a master tempo track if done that way, so there could still be some issues there actually.

But it may be easier in DP to export the stems of each cue from one project or even assemble those exported audio stems into a master sequence of the whole film, etc. Directors are generally accustomed to identifying sections of video where each cue will go identified by start and end smpte times. The composer composes each cue to that. The audio of each cue can be assembled directly to the video by a video post editor and these days they can even use audio stretching and other tricks to make it fit if they decided to edit the video last minute. Sometimes. generally a dialog should happen between director and composer such that they realize if they edit the video in the middle of an identified cue at the last minute, it will take the composer some time to remap the tempo map of that cue and possibly have to recompose some new music to fit it. If you have a ten minute film all as one huge cue then that would be very problematic dealing with those changes. Separate identified cues reduces those last minute changes to only when they happen in the middle of a cue
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram
 
twistiejoe
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Sun May 09, 2021 3:31 am

Dewdman42 wrote:
I think if you are trying to make multiple cues follow one continuous tempo track that is not multiple cues. That is one long cue with sections at different tempo. Because of the continuous tempo that is one single musical “thing”, call it a cue or don’t but the same problem exists as if it were one cue.

I think with or without dp you are going to run into challenges when the film comes back with edits in the middle of a single tempo track.

Again i reccomend you break things up into separate projects in logicpro, as cues, whenever there is a break that is long enough or sometimes even if there is no break at all. But still that will not provide any help to the challenge of video edits in the middle of a tempo map. Breaking it into separate cues only helps a little bit insomuch that each cue starts at barbeat 1:1 with its own tempo map. You can lock that position. If video edits come at those transitions or in between cues then it should be pretty easy to adjust. The video post editor can do it! If a video edit comes in the middle of any tempo map then it’s a challenge for you. It will be in dp also, dp just let’s you put all the cues in one file but each cue ( or chunk ) still has to follow a master tempo track if done that way, so there could still be some issues there actually.

But it may be easier in DP to export the stems of each cue from one project or even assemble those exported audio stems into a master sequence of the whole film, etc. Directors are generally accustomed to identifying sections of video where each cue will go identified by start and end smpte times. The composer composes each cue to that. The audio of each cue can be assembled directly to the video by a video post editor and these days they can even use audio stretching and other tricks to make it fit if they decided to edit the video last minute. Sometimes. generally a dialog should happen between director and composer such that they realize if they edit the video in the middle of an identified cue at the last minute, it will take the composer some time to remap the tempo map of that cue and possibly have to recompose some new music to fit it. If you have a ten minute film all as one huge cue then that would be very problematic dealing with those changes. Separate identified cues reduces those last minute changes to only when they happen in the middle of a cue


Thanks, but again I can't do that. I mean literally every week I have to turn up with a session with all midi and everything in one session so we can work on it together and do stems all together. It would slow us down and make things extremely complicated if I kept have multiple sessions for separate cues. I mean, this could literally mean 30 sessions for a 7 mitnute episode, which would be absolutely ridiculous. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I hope it's clear now that your suggestions would not work at all - I appreciate your suggestions anyway tho. Even just waiting for the bloody things to open - I have a Mac book pro i9 with 64gb ram but my sessions still take 4 minutes to load because they have 400 tracks in my template. Furthermore no one else on the team turns up with more than one session. I have done SOME episodes with two sessions on occasion and just imported audio, but I don't like doing that because it was actually a nightmare even with two - because, every episode goes through about 8 rounds of notes and changes, sometimes more, and it meant I had to keep going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth between these sessions. If I had it separated cue by cue, mny of which are 15-20 seconds long, it would be absolutely ridiculous and I would probably screw things up. Hope that helps clear things up.
iMac
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
OSX 10.8.5

Logic X, 10.0.7
Running East West and other samples in PLAY and Kontakt via G-RAID-0 Drive, Esata to Thunderbolt.
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4506
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Sun May 09, 2021 5:55 am

Then Digital Performer is your only option :)
Literally no other DAW has what you need unfortunately, and I absolutely feel your pain.

However there are a few things you could do to optimize load times:
- lower Kontakt prebuffer
- use NVMe SSD for kontakt
- delete tracks you don't need once the cues are in place (there's a command "delete unused tracks") or enable "Only load plugins needed for the project" in project settings
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
User avatar
Dewdman42
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Contacting Logic ... no luck :(

Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 am

I’m with ploki, DP would be better but still keep each cue as a separate chunk and don’t put it all together into one huge thing, that is the part where you are going to have problems every time they edit the video. I think we are missing each other in communication somewhere because when you say it would take 30 short cues, that is not what I intended. You don’t need a cue for every tempo change.

At least if they are all in DP as separate chunks you won’t have to reload a different project to look at each cue. You’ll be able to select each cue as a sequence and hit play

But the simple truth is that if you have one big long musical cue that covers the entire length of the video with 50 tempo changes, then every time they edit the video again you will have a huge challenge to fix the tempos and probably recompose some music and there is no daw in the world that can automate that problem including DP. Even just reducing it to 5-10 cues which are each a minute or less, give or take, usually they are each related to a particular scene. This should have been discussed and decided earlier with everyone involved; where each scene is that needs music, etc… If that wasn’t discussed then I feel your pain because now you’re stuck in a mode of communication with the others where they have not identified or recognized these scenes per say and that would be very challenging.

But I still recommend you try to break each episode up into scenes with identified start and end smpte points. Within each scene there can be some tempo changes so if they edit one scene then you’ll have to rework the tempo map for the that scene but everything else will ok in the other scenes.

If the crew you are working with is just used to radically making edits all over the episode, and up to 8 times per episode and expecting you to adapt the music every time they do it, i feel your pain truly that would be very challenging. Unfortunately logicpro can’t do much about it and neither can DP except DP will at least have all your cues in one project file so that you don’t have to make them sit there waiting while you load each one. The people you are working with might have some unrealistic expectations about how easy or hard it is for you to adapt to those changes.
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Mon May 10, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSX 10.15 (Catalina) on OpenCore - Logic Pro 10.6.1, VePro7, Mainstage3
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 128gb ram