Changing Keys with Loops

Composerdan

Hi:

Is there a way to change the keys of loops and then drag them in the new key? I started a loop in the key of C and then picked the same loop and went to the bottom of the screen and changed it to F so that I could have it start in C and then move to F. Once I did that I drug it over to the project next to the first loop in C. When I pressed play it just played both loops in the key of C and didn't do the second one in F. I even tried doing the F key on a different track but in the same place and it still played it in the key of C even though I could go back to the loop page on the right side and it will play it in F. Surely there is a way to do this especially if it will play it when you test it before you drag it over to the project. If anyone can help me do this in easy step by step directions I would greatly appreciate it very much as I new to Logic and trying to learn this program as fast as I can. Thanks so much in advance.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Am I correct in thinking that when you drag a loop over to your project it just goes into the right key that is appropriate to the song? I have tried a couple and they seem to be doing that, is that the answer? Maybe I don't have to transpose anything if that's the case. I don't understand why there is an option at the bottom of the screen where the different loops are to hear the loops in different keys if you can't use them in those keys.

Am I correct in thinking that when you drag a loop over to your project it just goes into the right key that is appropriate to the song? I have tried a couple and they seem to be doing that, is that the answer? Maybe I don't have to transpose anything if that's the case.

Loops play in the project key automatically by default, so if that's what you want, there's nothing to do. You'll be previewing them in the project key and once you drag them in, they'll play in the project key.

I don't understand why there is an option at the bottom of the screen where the different loops are to hear the loops in different keys if you can't use them in those keys.

Once you've dragged a loop to your project, you can transpose it to any key using the Transpose parameter in the Region inspector.

There are several reasons for being able to preview the loops in any key:

- You may not have decided on a project key yet, so you preview the loop in different keys then once you find a key you like, you change your project key and import the loop.

- You may have a key set for your project but want to use a different key for a different section of the project.

- You may want a loop to play in a key other than the project key.

Yeah I get that, I was just hoping for a song that was already started and had a key already that I could just drag what I liked over to it and it would be in the right key. I have done some of that and it seemed to have work on occasion. Hey I just asked about a high pitch noise on my track that wasn't there yesterday would you know anything about that? Also I do really appreciate your help man.

Yeah I get that, I was just hoping for a song that was already started and had a key already that I could just drag what I liked over to it and it would be in the right key.

Yes, that is the case: any apple loop you drag to your Tracks area will playback in the project key signature. If you have several key signature changes though, only the first, main key signature affects the loops.