Logic Rosetta / native plugins

kovacs_miki

Just curious if anyone knows this. On an M1 mac when running logic through rosetta, if I load plugins that have native M1 versions (like fabfilter nexus) are they loading the apple silicon version, or they running the intel one, since logic is running the intel version..?

Important

The system prevents you from mixing arm64 code and x86_64 code in the same process. Rosetta translation applies to an entire process, including all code modules that the process loads dynamically.

More info here...

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/about-the-rosetta-translation-environment

Once you specify Logic to run in Rosetta 2, only Intel plug-ins get loaded.

Yes, but I thought they changed plugin handling in Logic *specifically* because of this. In the same way, people have said that running Logic ARM-natively can still load Intel plugins - precisely because the plugins are moved to their own process, so you *can* mix architectures.

That's what I understood, from user reports (don't have an ARM Mac so don't know directly.) but prehaps someone that does have one can answer definitively...

Yes, but I thought they changed plugin handling in Logic *specifically* because of this. In the same way, people have said that running Logic ARM-natively can still load Intel plugins - precisely because the plugins are moved to their own process, so you *can* mix architectures.

That's not what the OP is asking.

They want to know if a x86_64 app can load arm64 plug-ins. The answer is no.

Once you're in x86_64, it's only x86_64.

• 2 years later...

PlugInfo is great, I helped with testing, and among other things it will tell you which architectures a plugin supports. It's highly recommended and I use it pretty much everytime I install plugins.

It doesn't of course change Logic's handling of native or Intel plugins.

• Love 1