Looking to learn Logic Pro X and have a few newbie questions

ByronViggo

Hey all! As the title says, I'm hoping to start learning the basics of Logic Pro X. Having writing my own lyrics for a while I really want to be able to make some tracks to accompany them. Here's a couple of questions I had before getting started!

As somebody with no experience whatsoever with Digital Audio Workstations, how long could I expect to take to learn the basics?

This also leads into my next question which is....

2) Where would be a good place to begin learning? E.g. YouTube Tutorials, actual online courses? Would love to know how others learned themselves!

and the last question!

3) As I said, I write my own songs and want to make tracks to accompany them. Would I be better to make the track, then re-work the lyrics to fit into the track. Or record the vocals, and make the track around them?

Looking forward to hearing back from people! Thanks in advance to anybody who reaches out.

Edited by ByronViggo

Hi there ByronViggo,

Do you have LogicProX yet? Aside from Davids book another good place to get started would be to check out the downloadable pdfs of Logic Pro manuals, there's 3 on Apples website.

I guess it depends on the person but personally Id recommend diving straight into LogicPro rather than going the route of GarageBand, which is strangely more difficult because of much less functionality. For example I found it really confusing because I couldn't see a mixer, which in my view is crucial. Just a thought.

3) As I said, I write my own songs and want to make tracks to accompany them. Would I be better to make the track, then re-work the lyrics to fit into the track. Or record the vocals, and make the track around them?

To answer this question usually the workflow is to record the instruments and then record vocals last but there are some that have recorded their albums differently.

Eventually it’s up to you. My answer is my opinion

And as far as resources go This forum has to be one of the best forums I’ve been on.

Search the forum and I’m sure 90% of your questions will be answered.

Drew