Logic 10.6.2. Release Notes

David Nahmani

so first thing is...people who have their project playing out of sync now that they updated. Like in the above video, we can't see the whole project to see what is on all channels, particularly including AUX channels and the m aster bus. If there are any latent plugins on AUX or the master bus, then the behavior he is documenting is exactly what SHOULD happen and what should have happened before too.

Its yet another example of a user posting a PDC complaint without enough information to get to the bottom of it or even determine for sure that its a problem, much less isolate where its happening.

10.6.2 PDC fiasco.

Opened an older song and that's way out of sync with compensation set to all in 10.6.2.

No problem in 10.6.1 (that I notice)

How my mixing 'template' works.

Audio track Kick > output buss 1

Audio tracks drums/percussion > output buss 2

Audio track(s) bass(synth) > output buss 3

Audio tracks all the rest except effect auxes > output buss 4

Buss 32 sidechain bus with no output get Kick, percussion and bass from their aux sends.

Buss 1 gets kick, has compressor (183 samples) sidechaining to buss 32

Buss 2 gets percussion, has compressor sidechaining to buss 32

Buss 3 gets bass, has compressor sidechaining to buss 32, has multiband sidechaining to buss 1

Buss 4 gets the rest

Buss 5 gets vocals, has soothe (4096 samples) removing soothe doesn't do anything.

I used to do the effect auxes to another buss but now I mostly go into stereo so I avoid busses going into busses and only go 1 level deeper.

The song is out of sync unless I remove the compressor sidechaining.

I use this method also when mastering my live tracks.

The reason why my mix is setup like this is because of future backing tracks for live performances: Kick - Percussion - Synths

Back to 10.6.1

I emailed apple logic feedback

Mac Pro 2013, Big Sur 11.3, Metric Halo ethernet ULN-8

yes sorry you are right 10.5.1

Sill on 10.5.2 and mojave.... am i missing something big?? What plugins are u aware of not working in catalina?/

Apparently air tecnology suite doenst work for exmple...

10.5.2 ? thought the last version for Mojave was 10.5.1

Open/Close Instrument Plug-in Windows of focused Track*./Command/. in multi-output (inst) no matter in which track you are ... not it will open the Main instrument...

that is a Great update.. so you don't have to go to track1 and hit that command... time saver

Open/Close Instrument Plug-in Windows of focused Track*./Command/. in multi-output (inst) no matter in which track you are ... not it will open the Main instrument...

that is a Great update.. so you don't have to go to track1 and hit that command... time saver

Did you see the post just before yours in this thread, where avalon is offering a solution for what you described earlier as a potential bug?

Mac mini user (2018) here on Catalina 10.15.7 and just updated to 10.6.2 without thinking about it (and without backing up the previous version.. I know, I know). I am experiencing the same massive PDC issues in projects which used to run absolutely fine. It is maddening, made even more so by the fact I should've known better than to update without backing up and also by Apple's complete lack of support for rolling back a version in the event of any problems. My projects are all screwed now. Thanks Apple!

I forgot that I had automatic updates for my apps in MacOS. So I had not made a backup of logic 10.6.1. And my automatic backup solution (backblaze) do not do backups of system files and such. Now logic 10.6.2 makes almost all my projects crash (console 1) and the rest totally out of sync. I am really desperate here. What can I do?

Have been happily working with 10.6.2 in the last week or two, but now opened an old project, and the sync is off by a mile. I've got for eg. Trackspacer on some of my groups (like making room for a vocal on a synth bus/group, well, aux it really is) and no worki. Unzipping my 10.6.1 app and running the same project with it = sync is fine. Grrrrrrrrh. How can something this significant slip thru their beta/quality control cycle?

After sending feedback I've received an email from someone in their Audio / MIDI department (which has never happened before), so they must know it's a problem. I've packaged up a smaller version of the track which is giving me issues in 10.6.2 and will send to them as requested so fingers crossed they can start to get to grips with it. Whatever it is they did to 'fix' the problem has clearly broken something else which was working fine. And no-one thought to test old projects in 10.6.2 either, apparently. Trebles all round!

After sending feedback I've received an email from someone in their Audio / MIDI department (which has never happened before), so they must know it's a problem. I've packaged up a smaller version of the track which is giving me issues in 10.6.2 and will send to them as requested so fingers crossed they can start to get to grips with it. Whatever it is they did to 'fix' the problem has clearly broken something else which was working fine. And no-one thought to test old projects in 10.6.2 either, apparently. Trebles all round!

Apple have contacted a few of us directly about this also, which is encouraging. I just hope a it's not going to be years before we see a fix.

So, it seems a lot of people are having issues with older projects in 10.6.2.

But for those who have now been working on new projects in 10.6.2: how has it been? Have you come across any PDC/ADC issues with new big projects on the latest update?

No,till now 10.6.2 works good for me!

For projects started in 10.6.1 I only use 10.6.1.

Projects started in 10.6.2 currently working without any timing issues,although these are not real big projects atm.

I keep a close eye on this thread,timing is everything. Or how a small update can have HUGE implications;)

There is at least this remaining issue in 10.6.2 that was identified by someone on Gearspace: If you have a latency causing plugin on an aux track and you are sending audio to it from a regular track, that audio will correctly have PDC added, but any sidechained audio will not add PDC. So that will cause compressors to be out of time if you're using sidechain (unless you send the sidechain source to another aux and go aux-to-aux for sidechaining).

I sent feedback to Apple and likewise received an email back from them asking for an example project, which I duly sent. That was a few days ago. Looks like they want to get on top of this.

No,till now 10.6.2 works good for me!

Great! Good to know! :D

I'll start some new projects in 10.6.2 and see how it goes.

I'll keep 10.6.1 for the older projects of mine.

Probably a very stupid question, but does anyone know if it mess with the system to have two different Logic versions in your Applications folder? I'd imagine not, but thought I'd ask anyways.

I keep a close eye on this thread,timing is everything. Or how a small update can have HUGE implications;)

Yup, exactly the same thing I'm doing! Keeping an eye on the conversations. :mrgreen:

There is at least this remaining issue in 10.6.2 that was identified by someone on Gearspace: If you have a latency causing plugin on an aux track and you are sending audio to it from a regular track, that audio will correctly have PDC added, but any sidechained audio will not add PDC. So that will cause compressors to be out of time if you're using sidechain (unless you send the sidechain source to another aux and go aux-to-aux for sidechaining).

Ok, very good to know, thanks for sharing!

So, my sidechain setup is an instrument track with Klopfgeist loaded up (basically acting as a ghost kick), which is sending signal to an Aux track via Bus 1 with no output, and then I use that bus 1 for sidechaining in the Logic compressor. I'm assuming with this routing, PDC will not be added, right?

I sent feedback to Apple and likewise received an email back from them asking for an example project, which I duly sent. That was a few days ago. Looks like they want to get on top of this.

Well, that's super promising! Keep us updated on whether you hear anything back from them! :D

So, my sidechain setup is an instrument track with Klopfgeist loaded up (basically acting as a ghost kick), which is sending signal to an Aux track via Bus 1 with no output, and then I use that bus 1 for sidechaining in the Logic compressor. I'm assuming with this routing, PDC will not be added, right?

I think, if I'm picturing it correctly, that you will have PDC working (correctly added) with that configuration, which is what you want. But if your compressor was placed on an aux track, and that aux track had a latency inducing plugin as well, then you wouldn't want to feed the compressor's sidechain with the Klopfgeist track itself, but only from another aux track that Klopfgeist was being sent to. And that's what you've set up, by the sounds of things.

The problem occurs when a lack of PDC is added to the sidechain signal, causing the compressor to be triggered too early. But it only seems to happen in the specific scenario described above, so you don't have to worry when sidechaining between two regular tracks, for instance.

The thing about all of this that has surprised me is that I had assumed that whatever solution Apple would finally come up with would have to be in the form of a Song Setting: “Pre-10.6.3 PDC vs. Post 10.6.3” because clearly when the solution does come, people will have been doing all kinds of workarounds to get their tracks back in sync, and any new PDC is going to render those settings useless, as we have been seeing. The only satisfactory solution will be the ability to select the old method to carry on working with old tunes. The fact that Apple did not do this and instead are going with a blanket solution is what I find worrying . .