'Boring' Logic Wish List!

AllTheButtons

Possibly the most boring wish yet - My eyesight is not great, so I always work in Logic with caps locked - then I go into Messages, email etc and start typing away forgetting that I'm typing caps. It would be great to have a caps lock preference just within Logic . .

Allow use of the Marquee Tool when editing automation in the Piano Roll (you can already use it when editing the exact same automation in the Tracks area, and it's really useful!).

Yes! I completely agree. Sorely missed. In fact, a Marquee tool in the Piano Roll would be welcomed, for example to select a section made of notes and silence to repeat. I know you can do that with the Time Handles, but the Marquee tool would provide consistent editing with the Tracks area.

Allow use of the Marquee Tool when editing automation in the Piano Roll (you can already use it when editing the exact same automation in the Tracks area, and it's really useful!).

Yes! I completely agree. Sorely missed. In fact, a Marquee tool in the Piano Roll would be welcomed, for example to select a section made of notes and silence to repeat. I know you can do that with the Time Handles, but the Marquee tool would provide consistent editing with the Tracks area.

Yes! I usually have the Marquee Tool mapped to the command key in the tracks area, and I instinctively press command expecting to see it in the Piano Roll All. The. Time. It's so obvious how it would work that I have phantom muscle memory :mrgreen:

• ability to natively bounce as Ogg Vorbis
  • In Export Audio to Movie, set the default Bit Depth to 24
  • Automatically name tracks based on 3rd party plug-ins
  • Batch edit Track names - i.e. I want to add a suffix onto the end of the name of a track
  • Bring back Black and White as colors in the Color Palette. Additionally, add grayscale. That would be very useful for me at least!

I'm sure there's more, those are the two that I currently have to deal with haha

• 2 weeks later...

Another 10...

1) Allow emoji picker in notes section.

2) Allow reordering of sends in the channel strip.

3) Shortcut to session folder in open/save dialogues (including for third party plugins).

4) When making “new track with duplicate settings” while input monitoring is active - keep input monitoring on the new track or the old track, but not both!

5) Allow locking of the End Marker.

6) Key command to set SMPTE Offset View 00:00:00 to playhead.

7) Ability to temporarily dismiss a Help Tag if it gets in the way.

8) Key command to quantize a region (the region itself, not its contents), rather than having to click the event list.

9) Ability to reset a channel strip without unfreezing it first.

10) Ability to edit regions with aliases from any alias.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few more:

1) The first time you click in a blank MIDI automation lane, the resulting line should be at the current parameter value, not at the value where you clicked.

2) Option to show the grid as the current quantize value (including swing, groove templates etc - just show the lines where things will snap to).

3) Set note colour (or select notes) by whether they are overlapped by another of the same note.

4) Ability to use smart quantize in the piano roll without affecting the whole region.

5) Ability to use the articulation menu on an empty track without plugin window showing.

Edited by AllTheButtons

A few more:

1) The first time you click in a blank automation lane, the resulting line should be at the current parameter value, not at the value where you clicked.

I believe this is already the case. Are you on latest version?

Just tested it and it turns out I was talking about MIDI automation specifically - normal automation already does this, as you rightly point out. I've edited my post!

Can't believe I haven't added this one yet:

Extend the use of the check marks that help you navigate through pop-ups menus when you've got a current selection. Currently this works in a few places like the choosers for plugins and Sampler instruments, but inexplicably not in others, like Articulations. Seems like something they used to do, but forgot about with more recently-added pop up menus.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest 10:

1. Ability to change a note’s articulation while more than one region is selected.
  2. Ability to offset the Play From position. E.g. instead of “Play From Selected Region” you could have “Play from Bar Before Selected Region”.
  3. Multiple automation lanes in piano roll editor.
  4. Option to select which automation parameter(s) are displayed behind the active one (instead of just a jumble of all of them).
  5. Stop scrolling temporarily while a modifier key is being held (strongly implies you are about to perform an action in the current view). It already does this with the mouse button.
  6. Ability to join all adjacent contiguous regions on a track, ignoring the non-contiguous/non-adjacent ones.
  7. Automatically create folder for movie exports, as is already done with project bounces (or just use the same Bounces folder).
  8. Allow Escape key to exit full-screen video when it’s on the only screen.
  9. Ability to highlight scales/modes on the piano roll and onscreen keyboard.
  10. Alignment guides when using Marquee tool.

@AllTheButtons - if you want tracks "pinned" to the top of the display you can simply open a second "main window" and position it below the "pinned" tracks. The LCD and transport can be hidden easily.

Just gave this a go and unfortunately it doesn't quite work for me. Apart from the fuss of setting it up (when it's the type of thing I might want to hop in and out of for random tracks), it's difficult to get the 'pinned' window to behave how I want. For example, changes made in one main window (e.g. hiding, track-zoom) are reflected in the other, and there's a minimum window height so you can't just make it a thin strip at the top.

• 5 weeks later...

Great topic: How about “Save a Mix”? I want to save all the mixer settings and plugin settings without saving the entire project file. Then I could retrieve the mix I had done last Tuesday, without loosing the new tracks I recorded on Wednesday.

Maybe there is such a feature I just don’t know about.?

• 2 weeks later...

Another one: Logic Pro should analyze the available space on a disk before exporting video.

Not so much a problem for me anymore. But I do remember the juggling act of trying to make space on external hard drives for exporting movie files.

The movie would take forever to export. And after waiting 10 minutes or so for an export, Logic aborts the export process because of a lack of hard drive space.

Ideally Logic Pro would estimate the resulting file and "see" if the destination had the appropriate space before attempting an export.

3 new ones for me:

1. When "Add audio files to project" is selected, any audio file dragged into the arrange page should be added to the Audio Files folder. (It used to do this until recently... now it doesn't if the file is already somewhere else in the project folder hierarchy, e.g. the Bounces folder).

2. If you hit play and it starts freezing tracks, it should not then start playing at the end of the freezing process (which may be several minutes later, when you're not expecting it any more). Again this is a recent change. Perhaps it could play only if the freezing takes less than a certain amount of time.

3. Multiple skip-cycle ranges, so you can try skipping more than one section at a time