'Boring' Logic Wish List!

AllTheButtons

I thought it would be interesting to make a thread of things we would like to see in Logic, but one that leaves out the flashy stuff like new instruments or big features. Just ordinary 'quality of life' stuff that wouldn't get featured on the marketing website, and wouldn't be too complicated to implement or fundamentally change how things work, but would make your life easier in some way.

Here's my list:

1. Output trim on every plugin window (so you don’t have to waste slots on Gain plugins whenever a third-party effect makes stuff louder).

2. More options on where in the chain to freeze tracks (e.g. after the first effect plugin, so you can freeze guitar amps but still mix them freely).

3. Ability to name MIDI Cc’s on a particular channel.

4. Ability to name notes in the Piano Roll on a particular channel.

5. Allow normal text-editing keyboard shortcuts (bold, italic, paste-and-match-style, etc.) when editing the Notes section.

6. Allow simultaneous articulations.

7. Option to automatically add the first recorded Cc level to the beginning of a recording.

8. Allow simple binary on/off control when editing midi controllers that don’t need 128 states (e.g. Sustain Pedal).

9. Draw waveforms properly when zoomed out.

10. Allow multiple videos in one project.

Love to hear what other people have! :)

1. Remove the volume slider from the Control bar.

2. Remove the Master fader from the Mixer.

3. Rename the preference "Input monitoring only for the focused track, and only when input monitoring is enabled (as in GarageBand)". It should be named "Leave this off".

4. Let me have the count-in turned off by default in empty projects.

Hmm, off the top of my head:

- Plugin search and instantiate via keyboard

- Mark & filter favourites in the patch browser

- Fix all the tempo/timing/sidechaining/automation engine issues

- Make FlexPitch as reliable as other tools like Melodyne

- Option to route MIDI inputs to tracks directly (it's time!)

- "Control room"-type ability to insert plugins *after* the mix output point (for metering, A/B plugins etc)

Have a "Custom" mixer display option that doesn't follow the arrange tracks, but you can drag/move/reorder mixer channels how you want to organise them

- Stop letting people open multiple projects at once, or, if not, stop corrupting projects if the user does this

- Better startup behaviour when library content drives are not mounted

Some very good ideas. My ideas:

- I would love to have the ability to set the panner in logic to stereo-panning instead of balance as a preference

- stacking stacks (meaning: more than one level)

- showing the names of the aux instead of "bus 1", "bus 2" as an option.

- a way to setup studio-routings (not just the I/O plugin) and use them like plugins. PEDALBOARD instead of I/O-Plugin... Way easier to see.

- I would love to have the ability to set the panner in logic to stereo-panning instead of balance as a preference

easy enough; create a custom template (i have mine setup with stereo panning as default).

here's a small thing: i would like to name a track stack when i create it, not after it's been created.

easy enough; create a custom template (i have mine setup with stereo panning as default).

here's a small thing: i would like to name a track stack when i create it, not after it's been created.

How do you do that? Whenever I create a new track or software-instrument it defaults to the panner. Do you know a way to change that behaviour? Would be a great timesaver for me.

user template; i have several elaborate ones, with effects per track (fabfilter eq & comp,off, by default), my main synths, etc, track stacks, etc etc. etc.

start with a 'virgin' template; create the tracks, settings, etc that you want. then save as template. it's now there as an option always (& you can't overwrite it)... SO useful.

user template; i have several elaborate ones, with effects per track (fabfilter eq & comp,off, by default), my main synths, etc, track stacks, etc etc. etc.

start with a 'virgin' template; create the tracks, settings, etc that you want. then save as template. it's now there as an option always (& you can't overwrite it)... SO useful.

Okay, I see. But it would be so easy if this panning would be a preference. If you create a stack for some tracks you have to change the panning. If you create a send, it's the same. If you create a new software-instrument... I like to use as little predefined/templated parts as possible in my sessions.

Okay, I see. But it would be so easy if this panning would be a preference. If you create a stack for some tracks you have to change the panning. If you create a send, it's the same. If you create a new software-instrument... I like to use as little predefined/templated parts as possible in my sessions.

seriously, you could create a simple template, that's a very-basic starting point, with your panning set-up as you want; ie ONE track with that option. then just duplicate the track as needed; otherwise no more 'predefinied' than any other starting point in logic. my point is... you can do this right now (while you wait out that functionality in a possible future logic version).

Brilliant thread! Here's my hit list:

1. Flex Time Transient Markers automatically placed at zero crossings instead of the "middle" of the initial transient.

2. Single key command to batch Fade In, Fade Out, and Cross Fade for all selected regions in one shot.

3. Apple Loops categories organized alphabetically. I find I always get lost looking for my intended category. Or add icons with the names.

4. Ability to turn off Flex Pitch’s omission of unpitched consonants. I can't help but think that Flex Pitch glitches are a result of this fact.

5. Plugin GUIs available in Logic Remote. Or at the very least, it would be cool to have the Multimeter visually available on Logic Remote.

6. True AutoGain for all EQ & Dynamic Plugins, Fabfilter-style.

7. Eliminate latency from Vintage EQ Collection's controls. It kind of kills the "analog" workflow idea.

8. Tabbed Plugin Windows so we can quickly flip between multiple plugins on a channel strip. This would save a lot of mousing around.

9. Dedicated Export window that allows users to choose individual tracks/channel strips, multi-Ouput channels, Auxes, stems, etc for easier exporting.

10. Clip Gain, or key commands for adjusting Region Gain.

11. Pro-Q3 style spectrum overlays in Channel & Linear EQs.

12. Bounce to New Track Alternatives.

13. Ability to promote selected Region or Marquee Selection to top Track Alternative.

14. Auto Align ala Vocalign.

15. Remaining plugin and instrument GUIs updated.

seriously, you could create a simple template, that's a very-basic starting point, with your panning set-up as you want; ie ONE track with that option. then just duplicate the track as needed; otherwise no more 'predefinied' than any other starting point in logic. my point is... you can do this right now (while you wait out that functionality in a possible future logic version).

It's okay, i'm not waiting, just wishing. And I get your point. But I don't understand how you use a template for newly created auxes and stacks. I can setup some basic tracks and duplicate them, right. But if you get the idea to introduce a new send - that created aux isn't in the template and has the balance pan. Same with stacks. As far as I know you have to change the panner to stereo in that cases. Or how do you do that?

1. Flex Time Transient Markers automatically placed at zero crossings instead of the "middle" of the initial transient.

YES!

4. Ability to turn off Flex Pitch’s omission of unpitched consonants. I can't help but think that Flex Pitch glitches are a result of this fact.

They are, however I'm not sure how good an algo is at recognizing them so I've gotten used at doing it myself, manually. Feels good to know that a little human input is needed for the process to be completed properly. :mrgreen:

5. Plugin GUIs available in Logic Remote.

I would be surprised if this isn't coming.

10. Clip Gain, or key commands for adjusting Region Gain.

A couple are already available.

1418732574_gainkeycommands.png.fc3b3379883467a6c12e466c752abb72.png

It's okay, i'm not waiting, just wishing. And I get your point. But I don't understand how you use a template for newly created auxes and stacks. I can setup some basic tracks and duplicate them, right. But if you get the idea to introduce a new send - that created aux isn't in the template and has the balance pan. Same with stacks. As far as I know you have to change the panner to stereo in that cases. Or how do you do that?

you can just set up a bunch of sends without choosing a plugin for each one, and set the panning as you wish (for example, set up 5, or 10, or whatever) sends in your template; then just add in the effect you want when you're ready. you could set up track stacks as well, with empty tracks with your panning selected... then add in instruments.

They are, however I'm not sure how good an algo is at recognizing them so I've gotten used at doing it myself, manually. Feels good to know that a little human input is needed for the process to be completed properly. :mrgreen:

It was a super cool and innovative idea for Logic to omit unpitched consonants :D But I speculate the unintended consequence of this omission is the glitchy artifacts we've all come to know from Flex Pitch.

So I wonder if the user had the option to turn off Logic's attempt to "omit" unpitched material that it might solve some of those artifacts. Kind of like how different Flex Time modes can be adjusted to fill gaps or not, complex material, etc.

A couple are already available.

gain key commands.png

Oh yes, I love Normalize Region Gain. I'm just thinking Clip Gain style adjustments, where a user could quickly turn the gain up/down with the mouse or key command without having to navigate to the Inspector.

Something like this addon app for Logic from Speakerfood: https://speakerfood.com/pages/gaincontrol-product-page

Brilliant thread! Here's my hit list:

14. Auto Align ala Vocalign.

As for 14, you probably know about this one but in case if you haven`t.

In the Arrange window, press option T to see the "Configure track head" options. Select Groove Track by checking the box.

Then click on the track you want to use as the guide track at the beginning of the title (there should be a number there) when you click on the number you will see a small gold star, which means that you have set this particular track that the others will follow .

1986719500_Skrmavbild2021-04-30kl_22_57_20.png.2033e1a46b7a98330521527a814e1936.png

As for 14, you probably know about this one but in case if you haven`t.

In the Arrange window, press option T to see the "Configure track head" options. Select Groove Track by checking the box.

Then click on the track you want to use as the guide track at the beginning of the title (there should be a number there) when you click on the number you will see a small gold star, which means that you have set this particular track that the others will follow .

Hey Dan, thanks for your reply. Yes, I am aware of the Groove Tracks. And that's an interesting suggestion, as I've never considered using it for aligning multiple vocal tracks. Definitely have to give it a try!

A more flexible way Logic allows us to individually: rate, comment (like Alchemy), rename, and hide, all its loops and factory sounds.

Selectively delete individual loops and sounds you never want to hear again and have Library Manager remember that so you can still download new material

Have Apple bring back a working selective Undo

This would definitely make life easier but I concede not sure about how easy for Apple to instantiate.

Selectively delete individual loops and sounds you never want to hear again and have Library Manager remember that so you can still download new material

yes!

in the past, at least, you could delete apple loops and never see them again. now, "essential" loops remain; i'd like to delete them ALL.

I talked about it recently on another forum, I’d like the floating windows you trigger with a KC or in the menu, like the color palette or the floating event list to appear right under the cursor just like when you ask for the Tool menu. Or at least close to it if the cursor is too close to the app borders. With 27 and 32’’ monitors now, it can be a long ride before you get to the item you want to edit/select.

Also, of lesser importance, it would be cool to have an option for the Control Bar to show the time of day. I always work in Full Screen mode so the System menu bar disappears. It would be cool to have the time of day without having to bring the cursor way up there.

Blink

1-Draw tools for automation

2-automation mute

3-mixer snapshots

4-audio record straight in quick sampler and sampler

5-APC40 MKII compatibility

6-several automation and controler lanes viewable at the same time in midi editor

7-Record in pattern editor

8-Alchemy modulation matrix layout improvement (difficult to see what modulate what when lot of modulations)

- Native customizing of the interface would make an already great interface topnotch. Specifically, more differentiation between channelstrips in Logics main mixer. This alone has me reaching for the environment mixer most of the time. All it would take is make that grey line a few shades darker, and we're there!

- Toggle everything in the mixer between on and off, so when you go away for a while the CPU isn’t sitting there unnecessarily using cores.

- have the Performance Meter reliably stay as float

- totally agree on the quick swipe comping for midi tracks

yes!

in the past, at least, you could delete apple loops and never see them again. now, "essential" loops remain; i'd like to delete them ALL.

Hi fisherking, I do really like some Apple Loops, but yeah, others not so much. Some green ones are great cuz you can more easily edit if need be, but the trick is to have Apple make their Library Manager more intelligent so it remembers not to replace what you want to delete. Right now, the options are too coarse, like an all or nothing scenario.