Projects vs Folders???

deckard1

Hi,

I was sending a Logic project to someone for them to mix. They asked me if I saved my Logic mixes as ‘projects’ or ‘folders’ in the Save menu. What’s the difference between the two and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks.

I suppose what he really meant was if you save your project organized as a package or a folder.

I strongly recommend a folder.

A package means that there's only one file that represents your project, and that you can place media files such as audio files referenced by the project inside that package. So it's really a folder since you can put files inside, but it looks like a file in the Finder, and when you double-click it, it opens in Logic Pro, behaving like a file.

A folder means a Finder folder, and inside the folder you place your Logic Project file, along with other folders containing media files: an audio files folder, a sampler instruments folder, a samples folder, a bounced files folder, etc.

• Like 1

I think they meant "packages" vs "folders". A package contains everything including the audio in one single file (you can right-click and drill into it). There are advantages to both it just depends on what you are doing. However, in the Package version, you don't get the ability to bounce into a folder contained therein.

I use packages for ideas and other situations where I don't need to see the entire folder structure.

i live & die by packages, have for a long time. i find it easiest in terms of organization, and, in the rare occasion i need an audio file from a song, i can copy it from the package contents.

but really, either way works. if you save to a folder, zip the folder before uploading, keeps things simple.

A 'package' is a folder. It is treated like a file in the case of the Open command (double-click). If you remove the '.logicx' extension from the 'filename' the folder will lose it's fancy icon and behave like a normal folder.

If you want to access the contents of a package in the Finder you control-click on the file and choose 'Show Package Contents'.

I will use both packages and folders, but choose folder when I am going to be doing lots of stem production, etc. Easier to gain access to the media files when it's a folder. Yes - those bounces being kept in the same place as the project with easy access is important.

When I first started in Logic - a year or so ago - I was saving my songs as Packages, it seems. Because those earliest works were mostly just me messing about, I wasn't concerned (and wasn't really aware) about what files were going where. Now that I'm a bit more comfortable and using Logic almost exclusively, I'm wondering if there's a simple way to go back and clean up/consolidate those early Packages. Mostly, it's that any bounced tracks ended up in a big, general bounce folder, so I might have twenty bounces from the same song, listed one after the next. When I ask about cleaning these things up, I guess I mean, is there a way to convert Packages into Folders, and specifically, is there a way that I can do this without actually making more of a mess! I'm not a god of file management!

I suppose what he really meant was if you save your project organized as a package or a folder.

I strongly recommend a folder.

A package means that there's only one file that represents your project, and that you can place media files such as audio files referenced by the project inside that package. So it's really a folder since you can put files inside, but it looks like a file in the Finder, and when you double-click it, it opens in Logic Pro, behaving like a file.

A folder means a Finder folder, and inside the folder you place your Logic Project file, along with other folders containing media files: an audio files folder, a sampler instruments folder, a samples folder, a bounced files folder, etc.

Thanks. Yes...I meant to write packages and not projects. :)