A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

deckard1
Topic Author

Projects vs Folders???

Sat May 01, 2021 4:16 am

Hi,

I was sending a Logic project to someone for them to mix. They asked me if I saved my Logic mixes as ‘projects’ or ‘folders’ in the Save menu. What’s the difference between the two and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks.
15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012): 2.3 GHz, i7, 16 GB RAM, 480GB SSD | OS X 10.15.7 | Logic Pro (10.6.2)

David Nahmani
Site Admin

Re: Projects vs Folders???

Sat May 01, 2021 4:22 am

I suppose what he really meant was if you save your project organized as a package or a folder.

I strongly recommend a folder.

A package means that there's only one file that represents your project, and that you can place media files such as audio files referenced by the project inside that package. So it's really a folder since you can put files inside, but it looks like a file in the Finder, and when you double-click it, it opens in Logic Pro, behaving like a file.

A folder means a Finder folder, and inside the folder you place your Logic Project file, along with other folders containing media files: an audio files folder, a sampler instruments folder, a samples folder, a bounced files folder, etc.
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

Dragonwind

Sat May 01, 2021 4:25 am

I think they meant "packages" vs "folders". A package contains everything including the audio in one single file (you can right-click and drill into it). There are advantages to both it just depends on what you are doing. However, in the Package version, you don't get the ability to bounce into a folder contained therein.

I use packages for ideas and other situations where I don't need to see the entire folder structure.
http://www.christophercaouette.com
• LPX 10.6.2, Latest Big Sur build, Mac Pro 6,1 64gb Ram 12 core all SSD drives

fisherking

Sat May 01, 2021 5:27 am

i live & die by packages, have for a long time. i find it easiest in terms of organization, and, in the rare occasion i need an audio file from a song, i can copy it from the package contents.

but really, either way works. if you save to a folder, zip the folder before uploading, keeps things simple.
LP10.6.2 • os11.5b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com

facej

Sat May 01, 2021 12:33 pm

A 'package' is a folder. It is treated like a file in the case of the Open command (double-click). If you remove the '.logicx' extension from the 'filename' the folder will lose it's fancy icon and behave like a normal folder.

If you want to access the contents of a package in the Finder you control-click on the file and choose 'Show Package Contents'.

I will use both packages and folders, but choose folder when I am going to be doing lots of stem production, etc. Easier to gain access to the media files when it's a folder. Yes - those bounces being kept in the same place as the project with easy access is important.
Logic Pro X 10.4.8, 10.5.1, Logic Pro 10.6.2
OS X 10.15.7, macOS 11.4
iMac19,1 27" - 3.6 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 - 40GB memory - MacBook Air - 3.2 GHz M1 - 16GB memory - 1TB SSD
Behringer XR18 - Behringer X-Touch - iPad Pro 10.5" iOS 14.5
Logic Pro Command of the Day

grumblepig

Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 pm

When I first started in Logic - a year or so ago - I was saving my songs as Packages, it seems. Because those earliest works were mostly just me messing about, I wasn't concerned (and wasn't really aware) about what files were going where. Now that I'm a bit more comfortable and using Logic almost exclusively, I'm wondering if there's a simple way to go back and clean up/consolidate those early Packages. Mostly, it's that any bounced tracks ended up in a big, general bounce folder, so I might have twenty bounces from the same song, listed one after the next. When I ask about cleaning these things up, I guess I mean, is there a way to convert Packages into Folders, and specifically, is there a way that I can do this without actually making more of a mess! I'm not a god of file management!
Logic 10.6.1
Mac OS Big Sur - Mac Mini - M1 chip - 16GB memory

https://antonbarbeau.bandcamp.com/

triplets

Sun May 02, 2021 12:32 am

grumblepig wrote:
s there a way to convert Packages into Folders

Do a Save As... select folder, include audio files only and choose another location on your disk.
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro and X certified
ProTools 10 & 11 Certified Operator
2 x 3.06 Intel Six-Core 24 GB RAM, Logic 10.5.1, 10.14.6., UA Apollo
2012 i7 MBP 8 GB Logic 10.6.1, 10.15.7
Contact me for Logic help (Teamviewer, Zoom, Skype)
http://www.ultimatestudiosinc.com

deckard1
Topic Author

Sun May 02, 2021 1:19 pm

David Nahmani wrote:
I suppose what he really meant was if you save your project organized as a package or a folder.

I strongly recommend a folder.

A package means that there's only one file that represents your project, and that you can place media files such as audio files referenced by the project inside that package. So it's really a folder since you can put files inside, but it looks like a file in the Finder, and when you double-click it, it opens in Logic Pro, behaving like a file.

A folder means a Finder folder, and inside the folder you place your Logic Project file, along with other folders containing media files: an audio files folder, a sampler instruments folder, a samples folder, a bounced files folder, etc.

Thanks. Yes...I meant to write packages and not projects. :)
15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012): 2.3 GHz, i7, 16 GB RAM, 480GB SSD | OS X 10.15.7 | Logic Pro (10.6.2)