Logic Pro 10.6 Plugings missing [SOLVED]

mikejk
Go to solution Solved by mikejk,

It seems that the new Logic Pro, which updates by itself a couple of days lacks of some former tools (plugins).

For instance, the metering file (with the BPM counter, and so on) isn’t there anymore.

I know that you can find the legacy tools by holding the Alt key, but it doesn’t work for those tools.

The Logic Pro 10.6 help guide always speaks about these even if they aren’t present anymore.

Do someone has an idea ?

You're looking at your Instruments menu in your screenshot.

If you're looking fo thing like audio metering and BPM counters, you need to be looking in your audio inserts (FX) menus. In short, it's not that they've gone missing, it's that you're looking in the wrong place...

I'm sorry, but no.

If you have a look on the David's screenshot, you see that Metering stands between Imaging and Modulation.

Here is a new one of Logic Pro 10.6.2 updated yesterday. You can see that in that very same place, the Metering folder is lacking.

Isn't it weird ?

1647090445_Capturedcran2021-05-0310_53_45.png.f2354a720932961a3c97f3c8ca3693d2.png

I'm sorry, but no.

Yes, you did indeed show the instruments plugin list, not the audio FX list, where the metering stuff is, so I wouldn't expect it to be there in that screenshot even if it was "working" as expected.

If you have a look on the David's screenshot, you see that Metering stands between Imaging and Modulation.

Sure, but those top level folders are completely customisable - mine look very different to that, for example. If you haven't configured anything custom, Logic will initialise a default set of it's own plugins there for convenience, but you can customise that as necessary. And just like the AU plugins, both AU and Logic plugins have their own submenu at the bottom of the menu - the top level is for you to organise your plugins to your convenience.

Here is a new one of Logic Pro 10.6.2 updated yesterday. You can see that in that very same place, the Metering folder is lacking.

Isn't it weird ?

If you've customised those top level folders, then Logic probably won't show the default set for you. All the Logic plugins should be in the "Logic" folder underneath "Audio Units" when you have a customised top level layout, and you should find all your Logic plugins there. If you want a "Metering" top level folder, then you can use the Plug In manager to create one if it doesn't exist, and put in whatever metering plugins you want to be accessible from there.

Also remember that only plugins that match the current channel configuration are shown in the menus. So for instance, if you had a Metering folder, and there were two metering plugins in it, but they only worked on mono & stereo channels, but your current channel was eg surround, then those plugins would not be available, and as all plugins in that Metering folder would be unavailable, probably the entire folder will disappear too - so a lot of it is context dependent.

But Logic plugins are not actually plugins, they are part of Logic's code, so it is impossible for them to be "missing". You are just not seeing them for whatever contextural reasons above are affecting you, some of which are mentioned above.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

By the way, I also have seen that many of the « legacy » instruments coming from Garageband are missing. I have lost the drum kits, the guitars, the piano, etc. If I m searching them, I can find them used in other projects and re-use them, but they aren't present anymore in the Sampler (multi-sample).

Because I don't remember the complete list of them, I even cannot search for, them all and revive them.

What is strange, is that they seem to be present in the Audio folder in then root of the system, but Logic doesn't see it.

I have an old MacBook Pro and when I'll have the time, I will compare the new and the former versions of Logic Pro to try to recover all of it.

Hello,

By the way, I also have seen that many of the « legacy » instruments coming from Garageband are missing. I have lost the drum kits, the guitars, the piano, etc. If I m searching them, I can find them used in other projects and re-use them, but they aren't present anymore in the Sampler (multi-sample).

Because I don't remember the complete list of them, I even cannot search for, them all and revive them.

What is strange, is that they seem to be present in the Audio folder in then root of the system, but Logic doesn't see it.

I have an old MacBook Pro and when I'll have the time, I will compare the new and the former versions of Logic Pro to try to recover all of it.

Can you share specific examples (patch names)? What do you see in your Audio folder in the root of your system, that you can't access in Logic?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my conundrum:

Files seem present, IDK if the right places...

Macintosh HD/LIbrary/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Crotales/Crotales-Me_p/

Macintosh HD/LIbrary/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Crotales.exs

But I search in the search field in the Logic interface , but no Crotales found at all , refresh Library doesn't fix.

I think the cool modern brass and string section multi-instruments are gone too.

I'm doing the "reinsttall Library" approach, don't know if it will load all instruments provided from all time, it says 62 GB.

The library browser shows content applicable to the position of the little blue focus triangle on the left of the channel strip.

If it's eg, pointing at the top of the channel strip, the library will be filtered by patches or channel strip settings. If instead you focus on a loaded instrument, say Sampler, then the library browser will be primed to show only sampler instruments.

So, lets say the arrow is pointing at a Sampler instrument, and you search the library for a known ES2 patch, that patch won't be found/displayed because an ES2 patch is not applicable in the context of Sampler. Or if the arrow is pointing at the top of the channel, and you enter the name of a Sampler Instrument, the library is searching on Patches, and so sampler instruments won't be searched on or found.

The context-dependent thing is a useful feature, but it can be confusing if something is happening that you aren't expecting - but once you understand what's going on, it should be easy to find what you need going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hello,

The metering plug-ins finally reappeared in Logic Pro. I don't know why exactly (maybe following an update).

For those who wonder what is Voice Synth, it's something I've found years ago. It's a kind of synth that change any audio. I was rather disappointed with the result I don't use it anymore. Here is a screen shot of it if you want to check it by yourself.

692758977_Capturedcran2021-06-3019_15_47.thumb.png.5463abb358b4344f07f28bd19e8e70c7.png