Logic Pro 10.5+ and Macbook late 2013

jpeek345

Hello,

I was wondering if my Logic Pro v.10.6.2 and my Retina, 15 inch, late 2013 Macbook may be the main or essential reason for "system overload" notices when playing projects with multiple tracks of Alchemy.

I was wondering if my Logic Pro v.10.6.2 and my Retina, 15 inch, late 2013 are now impractical to play together nicely.

I'm pretty sure the sys overload wasn't happening before the 10.5 update but I have been away from the game because of "2020".

Only two tracks are in play:

(1) An Alchemy preset "Music Vox", looped, for about 4 loops.

SHAGZ8s.png

(2) "Boys Chamber Swells"

Special note:

If the answer to my reason for writing emanates from Sampler- I've noticed no difference playing with the multi-thread option.

yYnNxun.png

Additional:

All 12 or so MIDI tracks with Alchemy as its main synthesis source are muted.

All others are muted.

No other non-music programs on my Macbook are running.

Buffer sizes including and lower than 256 do significantly impact playback fidelity when judging the Alchemy sound as a sound worth developing into a song.

As you may expect, more sys overloads happen with 1024 and 512 respectively.

Here is the rub. The song idea I am developing. Up for a limited time.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

jpeek345

P.S. I've started a Facebook group called Logic Pro Sampler group and its focus is Sampler and Quick Sampler respectively.

Please stop by. :-)

May 1st, 2021

Have you tried monitoring your Performance Meters to determine if you were reaching limits of your system?

Hi.

Did you mean the activity monitor?

Its not a reliable monitor as it is ultimately hard to divine just what Apple means in their two-color graph by "user activity" and "system activity."

Its always at least a 2/3 "user activity" bias over a 1/3 "system usage" on the graph....and all I have to do is open my Macbook and with no programs open, select "activity monitor" and it already has the game stacked. It reflects the 2/3 vs. 1/3 model above.

Are there other "performance meters" you may be referring to?

Thank you.

Muting doesn't stop Logic from processing those tracks, try the track on/off button instead. You also seem to have confused the buffer size functionality, larger buffer makes it easier on the cpu, not the other way around...

Yes it seems I am confused about buffer size, thank you.

I will try the track on/off trick and come back to this thread if need be.

I am just getting back to my DAW know-how and am a bit rusty.

Not for long though. ;)

Thank you.

J/J

Hi guys,

How much do you have RAM? But in any case, bounce your MIDI to audio. Good solution every time you face overload problems.

im1.png.5b6846b6b6a7ff4c92143b2ccc46faeb.png

I know its not a current Macbook model but no fan tripped on yet.

Have you tried monitoring your Performance Meters to determine if you were reaching limits of your system?

im2.png.e5f5419641d0a9f1545fd487654c1bf5.png

This is a shot of when all progs-projects are closed and Chatkas suggest. is employed. All tracks are turned off.

I used the Perform. Meter in other projects for comparing and I definitely seem to be maxing out Alchemy with "Music Vox" and the info in my MIDI notes.

I played around with free Cymatics MIDI and Logic Pro and found what resonates with me.

I don't think there's any info imported in the process but I could be wrong.

Question: With our performance meter, should I have a disk I/O reading as well?

I didn't ever see a reading when comparing in my other Logic projects.

I don't think I'll ever understand why different threads are used when adjusting buffer size.

The snapshot portraying all threads was the norm until I played with the buffer size.

It went down to 2-3 threads and it hits the roof (no system overload notices tho') but now, no matter what I do it doesn't seem to need all 8 threads in the identical project.

All I can gather is that if I'm working Alchemy like this then I must have a good original synth-generated riff.

I don't think I have Apple Silicon so I have no advantages or disadvantages to gain on CPU performance.

Kudos on the new Sampler Zone by Note (with a Spleeter-esque type of trickout?). IDK.

Anyways, I'll be back here one more time.

Thank you all very much.

Take care.

J/J Peek

• 8 months later...