High-Definition MIDI?

king-1871

I’m considering getting a SWAM Violin and controlling it with a Leap Motion controller. I’ve heard that it will work much better if the controller is sending high-definition MIDI. The Leap Motion is capable of sending that, but my question is: is my current hardware/software setup capable of receiving and processing high-definition MIDI in real time?

I’m running Logic Pro 9 on a 2012 quad-core Mac Mini with 16 GB of RAM. OS 10.12.6 (Sierra).

If I pursue this, I would use the Geco software to convert the Leap Motion capture to MIDI.

I don’t know much about high-definition MIDI, but imagine it must take a lot more CPU power to process. Does anybody have any experience using it with older hardware-software setups? I’m curious to know how it performs.

The Leap Motion/Geco specs mention 14 bit MIDI. That uses pairs of CCs to allow 14 bit resolution. The normal implemenation is that CCs 0 to 31 are used for the MSB and CCs 32 to 63 are used for the LSB. So CC 0 and 32 work together, CC 1 and 33 work together, etc.

Yes, Logic's MIDI sequencer supports it...just CC data being recorded and played back. I don't know if any of the Logic plugins support it, though.

It's messy to edit or automate data split across 2 CCs, of course.

Yes, Logic's MIDI sequencer supports it...just CC data being recorded and played back. I don't know if any of the Logic plugins support it, though.

Yes, several plugins support it. We recently went over this with the ES2 here; it supports it definitely. Let me check a few others:

RetroSynth: yes (albeit rather limited)

Alchemy: no

Ultrabeat: yes

Sculpture: yes

Most newer plugins don't seem to support it.

And I agree: It's very messy to edit.