Submitting and tracking bug reports

Lars L

Hi,

I want to submit a bug report to Apple and am wondering if there is some way of doing it via Feedback Assistant or similar, so that I can track the issue myself. I know about this form but that doesn't allow me to track the progress of the report, whether it's a duplicate, etc. I think it might be possible if you are enrolled in the developer program, but I'm looking for a free solution. Based on some searches around the Internet it seems to have been possible previously, but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks, Lars

It's actually not called Radar anymore internally at Apple, it's called "Feedback" (although I expect many devs still internally refer to them as Radars just out of habit) , but yes, if you have an Apple Developer account, you can submit Feedbacks/Radars and get a tracking number etc.

And yes, Apple use this system to track all their developments stuff.

However, if you expect much visibility into that process, you might be disappointed. About all you can do, at least the last time I submitted stuff in past years, is see if a report gets closed as a duplicate or "can't reproduce" or something. Occasionally you'll get some follow up asking for more info. If your report is marked as a duplicate, you can't go and look at the original and track it's status, so basically it's not as useful as you might think...

Thank you for that valuable information. I've been to the Feedback Assistant page and it's possible to create reports there even without being a paying developer. They have a macOS general section, however there is no category for Logic Pro or for pro apps in there which leaves me wondering whether that really is the right place to submit it. They have a "Something else" category which I could potentially use, but it seems a bit strange that they don't have any categories for their pro apps. Maybe it looks different if you have a developer account, though.

Thank you for that valuable information. I've been to the Feedback Assistant page and it's possible to create reports there even without being a paying developer. They have a macOS general section, however there is no category for Logic Pro or for pro apps in there which leaves me wondering whether that really is the right place to submit it. They have a "Something else" category which I could potentially use, but it seems a bit strange that they don't have any categories for their pro apps. Maybe it looks different if you have a developer account, though.

You don't need a "paid" developer account, you just need a developer account - or at least, that's the way it used to be, I haven't looked for a while.

Edit: I just went and had a look at the new feedback assistant, and you're right it's not at all obvious, they don't have a category for any of the Pro Apps, or FCP, or Logic at all, and it feels somehow not satisfying to send it to "Something else not on this list"....

In this case, it's probably best to use the main Logic feedback form I guess - pretty sure it will *feel* like your report has fallen into a black hole whichever way you do it..!

You don't need a "paid" developer account, you just need a developer account - or at least, that's the way it used to be, I haven't looked for a while.

Edit: I just went and had a look at the new feedback assistant, and you're right it's not at all obvious, they don't have a category for any of the Pro Apps, or FCP, or Logic at all, and it feels somehow not satisfying to send it to "Something else not on this list"....

In this case, it's probably best to use the main Logic feedback form I guess - pretty sure it will *feel* like your report has fallen into a black hole whichever way you do it..!

As you say, it doesn't feel satisfying using the "something else" option so I'll probably just go with the main feedback form. Thanks for taking a second look at it and making sure I didn't miss something obvious.

I know for a fact they check everything that comes from the feedback form, even though you cannot expect an answer from them.

Indeed!

BTW Just for clarity I didn't say it *was* a black hole, just that it *feels like* a black hole... :)

I'm glad to hear that David! It would be nice to get just some response when you leave feedback using that form. Just a confirmation email would make it much more satisfying. It really has that "black hole" feeling right now, like you said des99. Of course, being able to track the issue would be the dream, but I guess we have to stay grounded here. :wink:

BTW Just for clarity I didn't say it *was* a black hole, just that it *feels like* a black hole... :)

Yes I hear you.

Just a confirmation email would make it much more satisfying. It really has that "black hole" feeling right now, like you said des99.

Maybe they should have an automated response that clarifies that someone will read your feedback and that is is helpful for the dev team and thank you for submitting it, even though due to time constraint they very, very rarely actually follow up on them. That would feel less like a black hole I suppose.

Maybe they should have an automated response that clarifies that someone will read your feedback and that is is helpful for the dev team and thank you for submitting it, even though due to time constraint they very, very rarely actually follow up on them. That would feel less like a black hole I suppose.

Exactly – something simple like that would go a long way towards making it more enjoyable to submit bug reports.

Edit: Perhaps I should submit that as a suggestion using their form. And then not get a confirmation email about it. :roll:

I submitted my bug report to Apple now and noticed another problem with their form – the maximum character length of the "comments" text box is very short. I had prepared a thorough bug report with valuable information to the developers which I had to cut down severely in order to fit within the character count limit. Luckily I could preserve the entire report in my bug report in this forum!

I submitted my bug report to Apple now and noticed another problem with their form – the maximum character length of the "comments" text box is very short. I had prepared a thorough bug report with valuable information to the developers which I had to cut down severely in order to fit within the character count limit. Luckily I could preserve the entire report in my bug report in this forum!

Yes that limited comment box (along with the inability to attach screen captures, pics or videos) is why we often suggest to create your bug report in our bug forum and then link to it in the feedback from to Apple.

Yes that limited comment box (along with the inability to attach screen captures, pics or videos) is why we often suggest to create your bug report in our bug forum and then link to it in the feedback from to Apple.

Oh, I didn't think of doing that. I'll do that the next time though, thanks for the tip.