Is there a keyboard shortcut for selecting contiguous MIDI regions?

AMD
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

No. The simplest way to select all regions on one track is by option-clicking the track header. Or you can select the first region on a track and then hit ctrl-shift-F (select all following of same track).

Thanks for your reply. I’m aware of of those methods, but I only wanted to select certain regions on the track and not all of them. I find myself doing it a lot and was hoping there was a key command.

• Solution
I was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for selecting contiguous MIDI regions (regions one after another on the same track)?

If you want to select one region at a time, use the key command Select Previous Region/Cell/Event of Same Type/Number and Select Next Region/Cell/Event of Same Type/Number (they are unassigned by default).

If you want to select one or several regions then add the next region to the existing region selection, then I'm afraid there's no such key command (you would expect to simply have to add Shift to the previous key command but unfortunately that does not work as expected).

I was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for selecting contiguous MIDI regions (regions one after another on the same track)?

If you want to select one region at a time, use the key command Select Previous Region/Cell/Event of Same Type/Number and Select Next Region/Cell/Event of Same Type/Number (they are unassigned by default).

If you want to select one or several regions then add the next region to the existing region selection, then I'm afraid there's no such key command (you would expect to simply have to add Shift to the previous key command but unfortunately that does not work as expected).

That's the one David, thanks. I couldn't remember what the command was called. I was hoping it could be modified to select more than one reason, but as you pointed out, it can't be done without involving the mouse.

That's the one David, thanks. I couldn't remember what the command was called.

Great! I did actually get the idea from Ted Manzie's answer to your other question about selecting notes on the same pitch. Turns out the same command works for both notes in the Piano Roll and regions in the Tracks area.

Too bad we can't use Shift in conjunction with those key commands.

That's the one David, thanks. I couldn't remember what the command was called.

Great! I did actually get the idea from Ted Manzie's answer to your other question about selecting notes on the same pitch. Turns out the same command works for both notes in the Piano Roll and regions in the Tracks area.

Too bad we can't use Shift in conjunction with those key commands.

Hehe. I just saw Ted's answer this morning. He's saved me about a billion mouse clicks.

I can live with using the mouse for selecting regions, but this will be so handy for notes, as I find myself doing it constantly. I look forward to the day when we can just link our brains to Logic and think our edits into being :)

Hi everyone.

Thanks.

Since on my system I have the pref on for selecting regions when selecting a track, I create a Cycle zone that includes all the regions I want and then click on the track header of the track where the regions are. This will only select the regions inside the cycle. It’s not a key command but it’s fast to achieve.

• Love 1

Since on my system I have the pref on for selecting regions when selecting a track, I create a Cycle zone that includes all the regions I want and then click on the track header of the track where the regions are. This will only select the regions inside the cycle. It’s not a key command but it’s fast to achieve.

Great idea. Let's develop on it. :D

In the same idea, you could make use of those key commands:

• Deselect Outside Locators

• Deselect All Regions/Cells except on Focused Track

So if one wanted to select all regions inside locators only on the a track, here are two interesting key command combinations:

1. On same track:

First use Select All Regions/Cells of Same Track, then Deselect Outside Locators.

2. On selected track:

First use Shift-L (Select All Inside Locators), then Deselect All Regions/Cells except on Focused Track.

And with a utility like Keyboard Maestro you could easily turn two key commands into one.

Great idea. Let's develop on it. :D

In the same idea, you could make use of those key commands:

• Deselect Outside Locators

• Deselect All Regions/Cells except on Focused Track

So if one wanted to select all regions inside locators only on the a track, here are two interesting key command combinations:

1. On same track:

First use Select All Regions/Cells of Same Track, then Deselect Outside Locators.

2. On selected track:

First use Shift-L (Select All Inside Locators), then Deselect All Regions/Cells except on Focused Track.

And with a utility like Keyboard Maestro you could easily turn two key commands into one.

I’d never heard of Keyboard Maestro before, but it looks like something I’ve been missing for years. I really struggle with my right hand mousing these days.