No gain out of SM58

Zipfunk

I've only owned one mic (Rode NT-3) as I don't record high volumes, mostly acoustic guitars, and usually just a vocal once in a while.

I run it into a Scarlett 2i2.

I was planning on recording some samples (loud bangs and cracks) so I rented an SM58

My issue seems to be common from what I've read online. I have my Scarlett cranked and I'm getting little to no signal out of the mic.

I know about mic placement and proximity to the mic etc. but my signal to noise is gross.

All hiss essentially.

I've read about the Cloudlifter but I'd rather not start chasing a bad solution with more money.

I've added Gain and compression plugins but as I thought it just amplifies the hissing sound.

The Rode isn't suited for loud sounds at all being the type of mic it is.

Any ways I'm going wrong here?

Drew

I don't think an SM58 is the right mic to sample bangs and cracks. It's intended for close singing, so it relies on its proximity effect for a full sound, which you wont have if you're 50cm away from the source. Also, as a dynamic mic, its membrane is heavier than that of a condenser mic and thus you will not get the precise transient response that you seek when recording transient-rich material. And since it does not have a built-in preamp which is mandatory in a condenser mic, what is picked up by the mic will be comparatively low in level.

So all in all, it's the wrong mic for the purpose. Don't by default dismiss a condenser mic for loud sources.

Hi Christian

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to learn more about microphones from a few sources online and I think as with everything they're a little biased thus I don't get the straight dope.

When i tried to record with the Rode the sound (two pieces of hardwood slapping together) it sounded very cut off.

How far away from the Rode mic should I be for a loud crack sound?

Drew

Experimenting more and still not getting the results I'm hoping for.

I have the Scarlett cranked and I'm approximately 10cm away from the mic.

When I snap the two pieces of wood together I get a dB reading (borrowed a dB meter from the store I work at)

of 105dB.

But the sound is still thin and quiet comparatively.

I'll upload the sound I'm getting so you get a better idea.

SM58.mp3.zip

The sound I hear (I realize the difference between what I hear and what the mic hears is huge) is that of a baseball bat hitting a ball (sort of)

The two pieces of hardwood flooring are about 5 feet long so theres some tone there but not in the recording.

I can rent other mics but I'd like to know what I should try before renting willy nilly

(I just wanted to type willy nilly, apologies)

I got the 58 because it handles high sound pressure well.

Drew

A few thoughts:

The sound you're going for here, in some ways, resembles a snare drum to me. Consider using that kind of miking technique as a starting point, and adjust accordingly.

Sticking with the drum kit lens - back in my recording engineer days, for the snare my general go-to was either an SM57 or Audix i5. Then, supported by some kind of overhead mic - either a pair of AKG C414's overhead, or if it was a live recording, I'd put a single Røde NT-5 over the drummer's head. Or hey, why not both the C414's and the NT-5 in tandem? If ya have the inputs, smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Anyway...

I'd recommend using both inputs on your Scarlett 212. Dynamic mic close to the source for definition, condenser as an overhead for a sense of space.

This article may be helpful for ya, too. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-mics-recording-snare-drums/

What's this recording for? Sound design? Music?

Hope this is helpful!

It was helpful as a filler and glue for balancing the overall drum kit sound. I was doing this a lot about 10 years ago, IIRC it was especially useful for giving a sense of space, air, and some clarity to the general kit sound in the high mids and highs; especially helpful with drum solos and the like.

Rode NT3.mp3.zip

Sorry for the delay in posting this. My knee had a bit of a difference of opinion with a chainsaw over the weekend but all stitched and good to go.

haha

Heres the Rode NT3 recording.

I don't find it sounds like I thought it should

What's this recording for? Sound design? Music?

Both actually. If i can use it for sound design that would be great. But right now I like to layer drum sounds (Addictive drums, etc) with real sounds (booms and bangs from real situations) to make the sounds more mine and hopefully a little different than the norm.

My knee had a bit of a difference of opinion with a chainsaw over the weekend but all stitched and good to go.

UGH! Sorry to hear. Sounds pretty bad. :(

Heres the Rode NT3 recording.

I don't find it sounds like I thought it should

If it's you singing into the mic then you're right, it shouldn't sound like that. If on the other hand you're clapping your hands in front of the mic, then it sounds exactly like it should. That recording peaks at -1.9 dBFS, that's more gain that you'll ever need (digital clipping occurs at 0 dBFS).

UGH! Sorry to hear. Sounds pretty bad. :(

Yep

If it's you singing into the mic then you're right, it shouldn't sound like that. If on the other hand you're clapping your hands in front of the mic, then it sounds exactly like it should. That recording peaks at -1.9 dBFS, that's more gain that you'll ever need (digital clipping occurs at 0 dBFS).

I just found it didn't sound like two pieces of wood smacking together. Just a very clipped snap or clap as opposed to the 'wood' sound of it.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to eq it to death to make it sound real.

Drew