MIDI Mapping Help

stldrum

Is there a way in Logic to map my mallet percussion controller to play different MIDI notes than what it is sending through MIDI? I want to change the layout of my controller but doing it on the controller is less than ideal and involves creating user preset kits.

I have seen NoteMatrix 2, but this works only for Kontakt and I would like this to work for any software synth inside Logic including Omnisphere, Falcon or anything else I use.

Am I over thinking this? Seems like this should be easy to do but I can't wrap my head around it.

The controller does not connect through USB - it is MIDI into my Presonus audio interface.

Thx!!

There are probably lots of different ways to do it; one possible approach would be to use the Scripter MIDI plugin for this. This of course would (usually) mean that Logic still receives and records the regular data from your controller, but remaps it before it reaches the plugin. You'd probably have to write a simple script for this, though.

I recommend you use an environment mapped instrument. This will let you map input midi notes to output midi notes. Additionally you can insert an environment object like this both in front of or after the sequencer...so you could record the remapped notes or the original notes, whichever way you prefer.

538790736_ScreenShot2021-05-06at1_58_02PM.thumb.jpg.28235facfce70eadccd858882fc93c96.jpg

Otherwise, yes you could certainly do it in Scripter, but that seems harder to me. (and I'm the ultimate Scripter nerd)

I recommend you use an environment mapped instrument. This will let you map input midi notes to output midi notes.

That's certainly sound advice. I'm probably more fixated on Scripter because of Mainstage (which has no environment).

Is there a way in Logic to map my mallet percussion controller to play different MIDI notes than what it is sending through MIDI? I want to change the layout of my controller but doing it on the controller is less than ideal and involves creating user preset kits.

I have seen NoteMatrix 2, but this works only for Kontakt and I would like this to work for any software synth inside Logic including Omnisphere, Falcon or anything else I use.

Am I over thinking this? Seems like this should be easy to do but I can't wrap my head around it.

The controller does not connect through USB - it is MIDI into my Presonus audio interface.

Thx!!

I posted 2 solutions here

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157383

Note matrix is interesting! But be advised it runs in kontakt, probably as a multi script but not sure. But anyway logicpro doesn’t have a straightforward way to route midi from kontakt to other instruments.

The script above sits in aumfx slot so easily usable with any instrument. You can setup a map for each Instrument and Re-save the script preset under different names, the scripter GUI control values will be remembered for each one of those scripter preset variations. I think this will serve you better and it’s free!

I am going to try the way inside logic first with the mapped instrument as what I want to do should be fairly simple. I just need to see how I can save the mapping and then reuse it over and over for any software instrument i want. Looks simple but I have to dive into it!