Instrumentation/Arrangement

TravisM

So I started writing songs this year, and I'm having a hard time getting a full sound. I've seen one or two professional songs in logic, and they oftentimes have 40+ tracks, whereas mine have like 7-15. The only things I really know to include in a song is a baseline, chords, arpeggiation, and a melodic line or two. I know doubling is a major trick, but what other basic things am I missing?

I can't figure out how to attach files...everything is greyed out except for zip files, but none of those have been able to load on here.

If I’m recording guitars I double the main guitar track. I will also add a third guitar that is still implying the chords but with a different technique. (If the guitars are strumming I’ll play the same chords higher on the neck and picked etc)

I’ll have a main drum part but I’ll have a fair bit of percussion filling it out as well.

I’ll put organ or keyboard or string pads under parts to fill things out.

Those are a few ideas to start with.

A lot of those 40+ Tracks are usually incidental parts that don’t sit up front in the mix but fill all the ‘empty’ spots

One thought is this – try to "listen, critically," to the sound that you've now come up with. When you say that it "isn't a 'full' sound," try to analyze exactly what you mean by this statement.

Try to see if you can "put your finger on" what – according to you – would make your song better. With a copy of your project safely squirreled away, experiment to see if your guess was a good one. There really is something to be said for: "Well, what if we now tried this?" Lots of things started out as "happy accidents."

Grab a song that you think does have "a full sound," and listen to it carefully several times. There are many things that could be at play here: their use of the frequency spectrum, their use of relative volume ("compression"), things like "EQ" ("frequency-band slotting"), and so on and on and on.

I'm also sure that you could post a copy of it here for feedback.