[SOLVED] M1 Mac mini and USB MIDI

jbw

Anyone know if the M1 Macs are having trouble with MIDI over USB?

I’ve got a Korg SQ-64 running into Logic, with Track A on Ch 1 routed to Alchemy on Ch 1, and the Track B on Ch 2 routed to Dune on Ch 2. Yet when I arm the tracks in Logic to record both tracks in Logic record the output of Track B from the SQ-64.

I thought I read where some hardware wasn’t working yet with M1 Macs. Seems like something simple like MIDI over USB shouldn’t be a problem, especially this long after release of the M1 Macs.

I suppose I might be wrong though.

If anyone has any information please post a reply.

Edited by jbw

I thought I read where some hardware wasn’t working yet with M1 Macs. Seems like something simple like MIDI over USB shouldn’t be a problem, especially this long after release of the M1 Macs.

This statement is for USB devices that require power to be supplied to it.

The Intel Macs USB Ports were supplying power for those devices, the M1 doesn't supply the required power those USB devices need.

This statement doesn't apply to you because your Korg SQ-64 requires to be plug-in with the AC adapter, which is where the power is being supplied.

For those wanting to get a M1, make sure to do the homework, otherwise expect frustration.

I have a Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard MB110LL/A and when I connect that it doesn't work on my MacMini M1.

I have a Toshiba DynaDock which requires the A/C adaptor to work.

When I plug that into my MacMini M1 then plug my Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard MB110LL/A into the Toshiba DynaDock, the keyboard works on the MacMini M1.

The M1 Macs don't supply power via USB?

For the Apple Aluminum Wired Keyboard MB110LL/A, it doesn't look like it supplies enough to make it work.

One other thing I'll add to this, Apple doesn't make USB keyboards anymore, only Bluetooth where bluetooth gets its power from the batteries.

Why haven't I heard this all over the Mac forums..

This is how I found out about it. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Does this mean *no* USB devices that aren't separately powered work on M1 Macs?

I never said that, I said everyone should do their homework, meaning, check if your device will work on the M1 Macs.

Do you have a link to articles on this?

If you do a google search you'll see plenty of links.

This statement is for USB devices that require power to be supplied to it.

The Intel Macs USB Ports were supplying power for those devices, the M1 doesn't supply the required power those USB devices need.

This statement doesn't apply to you because your Korg SQ-64 requires to be plug-in with the AC adapter, which is where the power is being supplied.

For those wanting to get a M1, make sure to do the homework, otherwise expect frustration.

The SQ-64 doesn't require an AC adapter, but yes it's true the M1 doesn't supply the right power, though it still works. On the SQ-64 there are two USB Power settings, 500mA and 2A, with the 500mA for older USB 2.0. The M1 will only supply that amount, because when I switch it to 2A the System Information on the M1 still shows 500mA being sent.

Like I say it still works, the difference is the lights are dimmer. Can't say for sure if other devices work though. My guess is if they don't require much power, over that 500mA, they will work.