Recording a video using Logic for audio AND playing over a track at the same time

jwilliams413

Hi, I make guitar lessons on YouTube/courses and am stumped on how to play over a backing track in the middle of a lesson. The best way for me to explain it is with examples.

Starting around 1:25 you can here this guy talking, then starts playing over a track.

Same thing here around 8:30

I'm just stumped as to how they're pulling this off. Are they recording they're voice and guitar to another computer? I tried doing this myself and all I could come up with playing the track quietly on my laptop, which my vocal mic picks up and then syncing it in Final Cut Pro on my iMac afterwards. It works but was a pain because I had to manually do it and it was tricky to get it perfectly in time and was time consuming.

Currently I record playing over tracks ahead of filming my talking points and edit them in later. Being able to do it on the fly AND talk while playing over a track would open up my videos soooo much.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas on how these guys are doing it, let me know.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I just realized Paul Davids is using Ableton. I saw it in this video 10 seconds in:

He keeps building what he's doing by hitting different preset triggers on the fly.

I've been using Loopback to do similar stuff in my guitar lesson videos, but it's limiting compared to what he's doing. Does anyone know how to achieve this while still being able to use Logic?

I have a midi keyboard but if there's a better device, I'll get it. I'm looking to be able to record a guitar track & vocal track while at the same time being able to trigger different tracks (like backing tracks to play examples over). Seeing Paul Davids, I know it's possible. I'm just not sure if that's only possible while using Ableton as a DAW. Thing is I'm definitely not gonna stop using Logic with my Apollo interface.

Anyways, if anyone has any insight into this let me know

Thanks.